Wiggins Rouen Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kcyclist

Hi I am looking to shorten the stem on this bike so my wife can ride it - she is 5, 1 and the reach is a bit too long . It's a 48 cm frame size
I think the current stem is 10cm, can anyone suggest a replacement in e.g.vwas thinking 60 cm length.
Need to make sure the diameter is right to fit also to fit to the headset. I think it it should be about 32mm

The bike is a 2020 Wiggins Rouen 48 Adv 700

Any advice appreciated to find the correct part appreciated 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi I am looking to shorten the stem on this bike so my wife can ride it - she is 5, 1 and the reach is a bit too long . It's a 48 cm frame size
I think the current stem is 10cm, can anyone suggest a replacement in e.g.vwas thinking 60 cm length.
Need to make sure the diameter is right to fit also to fit to the headset. I think it it should be about 32mm

The bike is a 2020 Wiggins Rouen 48 Adv 700

Any advice appreciated to find the correct part appreciated 👍

@Reynard might be able help…if not just go to Halfords?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYGv6fMnBw&t=44s

If she sits on the bike she should be able to tell you what feels more comfortable in 10-20m increments of imagining where the hoods / bars come back to, but 60mm doesn't sound too daft, don't go much shorter than that though, it can lead to the handling getting twitchy.

yes you need to get right clamp size, sounds like your is 31.8mm pretty standard for modern oversize bars.
also be cognoscent of the % rise and either keep same or you could increase if she feels that would be more comfortable having bars slightly higher
nothing fancy about a stem so just look for best value

watch linked video for replacing / tightening bolds in correct order

Well, I'm 4' 11" and my Rouen is actually TWO sizes down from that i.e. 38 cm frame with the 650c wheels... Which makes me suspect that a 48 cm frame *may* actually be too big if the OP's missus is having reach problems. (They also made a 43 cm frame with 700c wheels, btw, so the bike in question is the largest of the Rouen sizes.)

I'm assuming you've already got the saddle as far forward on the rails as it'll go. Best way to get a "ballpark" reach is the rider to place their elbow on the nose of the saddle (when the saddle is at the right height for them), and then their fingertips should hit the centre of the headset.

Any bike shop worth their salt should have a shorter stem to fit, however, as steerer tubes and bars are pretty standard in terms of diameter. The stem on my Rouen is 80mm btw.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you've already got the saddle as far forward on the rails as it'll go.
Not always a good idea, saddle for -aft position should be set to what is comfy pedalling, disregarding reach for a minute.
KOPS (or knee over pedal spindle) at 3 O'clock in pedal cycle is a good rule of thumb
....and then use stem length and angle to get the reach to the bars sorted for comfort.

riding with the saddle at extremes of one end or the other is usually a sign that the stem length is wrong.

From Halfords site The 48cm frame 700c is designed for taller riders, 165 – 170cm (5′ 5″ – 5′ 7″)
Short stem may help but then can make the steering twitchy. My missus is 4ft 11, I think you would be better off selling it and finding a smaller bike.

The Wiggins Rouen has a 25.4mm stem clamp for the bars and not a 31.8mm clamp so you would need to get a stem width reducer potentially.

Not always a good idea, saddle for -aft position should be set to what is comfy pedalling, disregarding reach for a minute.
KOPS (or knee over pedal spindle) at 3 O'clock in pedal cycle is a good rule of thumb
....and then use stem length and angle to get the reach to the bars sorted for comfort.

riding with the saddle at extremes of one end or the other is usually a sign that the stem length is wrong.

Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do... *shrug*

Top Bottom