Wildcamping on tour - water filtration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any recommendations for water filtration for a Scotland tour we're planning with some wildcamping? Three ppl so a bit more capacity than a squeeze bottle filter I think it's needed.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've been using a Katadyn befree filter quite successfully on my wild camping trips.

It is a 1 litre squeeze bottle filter, but I fill it and then squeeze the water out and into my other water bottles. I can filter three litres in just 5 minutes.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I have used a Katydyn Hiker for a few years on remote trips.
Around a litre of water per minute, and dead easy to use. Their gravity filter bags are excellent, and may be a quicker route, depending on your budget. The pump I have is strong and light.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Would you take one filter per person?

My wife and I use the Sawyer Mini filter, which can be used with its own 1/2 litre pouch or attaches to platypuses, and most plastic water or lemonade bottles for greater capacity. It can also be used with the supplied straw to drink straight from a stream, puddle or whatever. I think you can even use it in line on a camel back type water carrier.

The filter is good for 100,000 US gallons!

£35 from

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2/

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Good is relative. Viruses and chemicals is not good for 100,000 litres.

It's good that they recognise the tendency to clog by supplying with a backslash kit. I read sawyer durability and clogging are two negative aspects of that product.

I used a drink safe filter inline. Squeezing the top bladder to fill the clean water bladder was surprisingly harder than a Kathryn pump filter I tried. That was an earlier model that didn't have the high flow rates they do today.

Saw a new to me player in the pump filter market. It has a modular filter to allow you to tailor to the turbidity or not of source water. Just add 1, 2 or 3 dot filter sections can be used as a pump, straw, inline and gravity filter. Cheaper than Kathryn too. Tempted.

Top Bottom