Wilier Cento Uno Ballan WC Special.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not everyday you get a chance to ride one of the worlds great racing bikes, so it seemed churlish not to refuse the opportunity to do so.

Where to start?

The frame and forks. Probably the stiffest I'll ever ride, yet it was comfortable enough to be considered for a solid days ride providing you change the saddle to the one of your choice. The Selle Italia SLR was just too "racy" for me and I didn't want to remove the Arione from the Sunday. With hindsight I should've, but time was against us.

Wheels. Fulcrum Racing Zeros are the standard issue apparently and do suit the bike, though I wonder what a set of more aero rims would be like?

Groupset. Campagnolo Super Record. Couldn't fault the mechanics but I still prefer the ergonomics of the old Ergo's over the new. There's a lump where the levers meet the handlebars which is absent on the old Ergos and I found it uncomfortable as it pressed into the base of my thumbs.

The ride. I have to be honest. It was cut short by a p***t*re. But in the time I was with the bike I've not ridden anything close to it. It was simply awesome. The power you can put down, so smoothly, is amazing. Up a short rise I rose out of the saddle and , click, click, had to go up two gears to compensate, leaving Tall Paul floundering behind me. It cornered like it was glued to the tarmac. The forks were direct, yet were reasonably forgiving, there was some road buzz coming through, but that was more down to the quality of the surface rather than the quality of the fork.

If you get the chance to ride this, or any one of the Uno models take it. The number of riders who came in after me grinning from ear to ear was a testimony to the quality and enjoyment this bike can bring to the lucky few who afford it.

Top Bottom