Wilier MTBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The higher-end ones certainly look the part.....

mdb-f9114_501rn1.jpg

OP
OP
Oldbloke

Oldbloke

Guru
goodyhe0 said:
Wheels look too big, front end looks too high and doesn't look like enough fork travel. Nice colour though.
For me the frame looks too small but I was used to MTBs from the 90s with 26 inch wheels.

You're right about the fork travel, doesn't look like 100mm there.

Cubist

Still wavin'
That 501 XN looks a nice beast, very much XC race stylee though. The fork is an 80mm Reba, the brakes and drivetrain are XT. That's about par for the course for 29ers with that geometry. The only slight disappointment is the Shimano M35 hubs on the wheelset, but there are plenty of aftermarket wheelsets for little money if you're bothered by the weight and servicing requirements of Deore hubs. If you want fast fire road and groomed XC riding, and have the asking price to spend on one, it looks pretty good for the money. Can you get a test ride?

If the frame looks small, check out a 26 inch steel AM bike....... 29er wheels mean you have to have what most would be considered to be a huge frame to slot between them while maintaining clearance.

OP
OP
Oldbloke

Oldbloke

Guru
[OTE="Cubist, post: 3400001, member: 3745"]That 501 XN looks a nice beast, very much XC race stylee though. The fork is an 80mm Reba, the brakes and drivetrain are XT. That's about par for the course for 29ers with that geometry. The only slight disappointment is the Shimano M35 hubs on the wheelset, but there are plenty of aftermarket wheelsets for little money if you're bothered by the weight and servicing requirements of Deore hubs. If you want fast fire road and groomed XC riding, and have the asking price to spend on one, it looks pretty good for the money. Can you get a test ride?

If the frame looks small, check out a 26 inch steel AM bike....... 29er wheels mean you have to have what most would be considered to be a huge frame to slot between them while maintaining clearance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that @Cubist
I was considering the 401XB...(27.5 wheels) for a less racy riding position. Not too fussed about the wheels.
Can't get a test ride as Wiggle are the reseller...looks a good deal to my inexperienced eye though, I'm a roadie and would like to go back to a MTB for a change, usually ride a Roubaix and no spring chicken so comfort and reasonable weight is paramount.

Can you give me some alternatives you'd recommend?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-401-xb-650b-2014

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
[OTE="Cubist, post: 3400001, member: 3745"]That 501 XN looks a nice beast, very much XC race stylee though. The fork is an 80mm Reba, the brakes and drivetrain are XT. That's about par for the course for 29ers with that geometry. The only slight disappointment is the Shimano M35 hubs on the wheelset, but there are plenty of aftermarket wheelsets for little money if you're bothered by the weight and servicing requirements of Deore hubs. If you want fast fire road and groomed XC riding, and have the asking price to spend on one, it looks pretty good for the money. Can you get a test ride?

If the frame looks small, check out a 26 inch steel AM bike....... 29er wheels mean you have to have what most would be considered to be a huge frame to slot between them while maintaining clearance.

Thanks for that @Cubist
I was considering the 401XB...(27.5 wheels) for a less racy riding position. Not too fussed about the wheels.
Can't get a test ride as Wiggle are the reseller...looks a good deal to my inexperienced eye though, I'm a roadie and would like to go back to a MTB for a change, usually ride a Roubaix and no spring chicken so comfort and reasonable weight is paramount.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-401-xb-650b-2014[/QUOTE]

That link shows the bike is sold out. If you give us a idea of your budget and what sort of riding you intend to do we may get a bit closer. The Carbon Willier you linked to looks to be in the £1500-2000 bracket at a guess. The world is your oyster at that price point for a hardtail.

OP
OP
Oldbloke

Oldbloke

Guru
Thanks for that @Cubist

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-401-xb-650b-2014

That link shows the bike is sold out. If you give us a idea of your budget and what sort of riding you intend to do we may get a bit closer. The Carbon Willier you linked to looks to be in the £1500-2000 bracket at a guess. The world is your oyster at that price point for a hardtail.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again @Cubist
My budget is £1k, the bike will be for a wide mix of riding, forest trails, XC, towpaths, offroad all day sportives. Nothing too demanding or serious though.
The Wilier model in the link is not available in UK maybe due to reseller restrictions. It's on sale in France for ca £950 which seemed a good deal to me, the geometry looks fairly relaxed, not a stretched riding position.
Your opinions and recommendations much appreciated.

Top Bottom