Will all 700c tyres fit 700c wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've just bought a pair of Shimano R501s for the hybrid. I want to put my 700 x 32c CST City Travellers on because they're reliable, but the Shimano leaflet says the wheels are only suitable for use with 19-28c tyres. What's the crack here? Should I have bought special wheels with with wider rims?

Sorry for the two threads tonight, but I've spent three hours in the garage getting angry & oily with little progress made!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Theoretically your rims are too narrow, but in practice other than maybe being a little sluggish in the corners you shouldn't have a problem. Trying to fit a tyre that is too thin is more of a problem. A good guide can be found at the bottom of here:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
[QUOTE 2476460, member: 30090"]4 mil?

Id thought it would not make a difference imo, I may be wrong though.[/quote]

It never occured to me that there might be a problem, until I read the info sheet.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Theoretically your rims are too narrow, but in practice other than maybe being a little sluggish in the corners you shouldn't have a problem. Trying to fit a tyre that is too thin is more of a problem. A good guide can be found at the bottom of here:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Thanks for that mate. I'm starting to worry that I've got the wrong size hubs too. Apparently measuring the gap between the drop-outs is important, but I failed to realise this.

Basically I've completely effed it up and spent £80 on the wrong wheels. I'll be on the train tomorrow. Gah! I hate bikes sometimes.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What material is your hybrid made from?

The front wheel will be standard, but the rear could be either 130mm (road) or 135mm (mtb). If your bike is 135 but steel then you can re-set the chain line. For other materials then it will be too wide for the wheel, but this can be fixed by respacing the rear hub.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
What material is your hybrid made from?

The front wheel will be standard, but the rear could be either 130mm (road) or 135mm (mtb). If your bike is 135 but steel then you can re-set the chain line. For other materials then it will be too wide for the wheel, but this can be fixed by respacing the rear hub.

The hybrid is made from:
  • Sturdy, lightweight 7005-series aluminium frame built for 700c wheels.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Not measured the drop-outs yet, but when I undid the QR they moved apart slightly, which pretty much guarantrees it's 135mm. Reckon Rose will let me return them?

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cool. I'll email them. I'll see if they've got any suitable wheels they'd like to sell me instead!

Top Bottom