Will bulking up leg muscles (strength training: heavy squats) increase average speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Only ever did leg weights during winter, Nov-Feb max, last year knocked them on the head completely and just did indoor torque work instead along with normal rides all on the MTB and standard indoor sessions. I felt much stronger this spring, it benefited me but who knows. Plus I'd rather do torque work than leg weights sessions, I've never enjoyed them.

GuyBoden

Guru
Chris Hoy's Track winning Legs.

Plenty of leg presses with heavy weights, probably.
article-2166394-11D09268000005DC-785_306x490.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
As someone mentioned above, concentrate on your cardiovascular fitness. I'm not horribly fast, but managed to take nearly 6 minutes off my 8.3mph time since last year. I didn't set out this year to improve on my TT time as I do them for a bit of fun if I'm free when my club TTs are on. However I did throw a lot of interval training into my commute as I was training for a double century, as well as started using a heart rate monitor. I think that helped more than anything. Well that and riding consistently through winter.

davidphilips

Veteran
Weights may not help a lot but with age, muscle mass dwindles and bones weaken. Resistance training helps slow that process, making you more powerful and structurally sound, which are both really important if you ride a bike.

frank9755

Cyclist
Thinking about it, my unscientific observation is that those with large thighs and skinny calves tend to be the nodding-donkey style of rider. Big calves and thin thighs still puzzles me, though.

Pedalling gently with the ends of the toes and excessive (and non-productive) ankling?

I've gone mid-foot so look forward to some weight-savings from losing lower leg muscle mass!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bit of trolling here methinks. Asks question that has created arguments in the past, then doesn't log in again. User name is somewhat suspicious as well. :scratch:

Milzy

Guru
Muscles only help on the Track.
You need to do over/under intervals of your FTP. 5x5’s 4x10’s 3x15’s 2x20’s classic staple intervals too. This is the quickest route to greatness.

Top Bottom