Will I be burnt at the stake if I say…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I generally detest the beatles music, it has always grated. They're like Coldplay, "everyone likes them" so they must be good, but they're not, they're mediocre at best.

As a Bestles fan, but perhaps more importantly as a student of modern music and a multi-instrumentallist myself (or perhaps just a mentalist?) I can conform they are far from mediocre.

That you may not like them is fair play, entirely your right, and I have no issue with that. However, to suggest they are mediocre is simply incorrect at any level.

Technically McCartney and Harrison in particular were very good musicians, and Ringo wasn't bad all either, no mediocrity in that regard.

In terms of songwriting McCartney is perhaps the most significant composer of all time, certainly of the modern era. While not as prolific or successful in sales terms I would also suggest Lennon and Harrison were very accomplished songsmith too. No mediocrity there.

But perhaps most importantly is their influence on modern music, even to some degree modern classical. More than half a decade of popular music owes its lyrical approach, technical detail, and structural composition to the Beatles.

And their influence upon society at large...

To not like them is fair dos, but to suggest they are mediocre is indefensible.

The New song is OK, not their worst but far rrom their best. Where it suffers is simply from Lennon being dead. They had the lyrics, and nothing more. Their method of writing and completing a song as a pair and then as a group was absent. The people were all there ate one time or another, but because that was sometimes decades apart the dynamic was absent.

I never liked that Tchaikovsky. Over-rated muzak. The only half decent tune he wrote was that one by B Bumble and the Stingers.

AndyRM

XOXO
Depends on how you define 'boy band'. Is it a group of lads with a common interest in music who get together; e.g., the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, or is it a 'manufactured' band selected by the music industry - ? In that case I would suggest The Monkees.

I suppose they actually did get together as a band, but the way they were marketed was total boy band. Similarly, The Sex Pistols.

Were The Monkees not originally a fictional band from a TV show that got turned into a "real" one?

I suppose they actually did get together as a band, but the way they were marketed was total boy band. Similarly, The Sex Pistols.

Were The Monkees not originally a fictional band from a TV show that got turned into a "real" one?

I think it was the other way round

the "boy band" type of think comes about because on the original single the music was all played by session players rather than the actual band

or something like that

anyway - I think the actual band played after that

OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
Similar, but the Beatles aren't as good as McFly.
Oh! I thought he meant Marty…

Top Bottom