will my bike cope with panniers for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just out of interest, this is what Giant have to say about it

Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 10.53.44.jpg

so you are well inside their range. I'd happily do light touring on my giant.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been on a light B&B tour with a guy riding a Defy (aluminium one, don't know which model) IIRC he had a single pannier and a handlebar bag. He's a medium weight guy. His bike did not fall to bits.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
If you have an alternative bike then why bother?
Good point but I enjoy riding the defy and won't use it in the winter. Also I am going with 10 others and I am probably the slowest so any speed gains due to bike choice would be welcomed. We won't be flying but I find my average speed on the defy is 3mph faster than on my diamondback contraflow. Also as we are going to Belgium hill climbing won't be much of an issue

willem

Über Member
It is a nice bike, but for touring it is not ideal. So what are the downsides?
1 The tyres are rather narrow and that is not only uncomfortable but it also limits where you can ride. I love riding trails and gravel roads, and most of those would be out of bounds on this bike. So fit the widest touring tyres that wil just fit your frame. On many road bikes with 49 mm drop brakes that would be either the 25 or the 28 mm Panaracer Pasela. I would go for the non Tourguard version, for its greater speed and comfort.
2 The rear wheel is not particularly sturdy. It is machine built with rather few spokes. The best option would be a good handbuilt wheel with a sturdy rim and 36 spokes. You can always use your old wheel when you are back. You could risk it, but if the wheel packs up it is time consuming and expensive to get a new wheel while you are travelling.
3 The handling of the bike will deteriorate rapidly the more you take. So reduce the luggage to the bare minimum of something like 5 kg max. Avoid seat post racks - they locate the weight too high and to far back. Similarly, avoid handlebar bags, unless very small and light. The best place for your luggage is in a frame bag and/or a saddle bag. In case of the latter, get a two bolt alloy seat post and leave the carbon post at home.
4 The gearing may be too high if you plan on going to the Ardennes, but that is easily solved with a different cassette.
5 You may want to investigate a slightly higher handlebar position than for club rides. Can you flip your stem?
Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Thanks for all the imput guys decision made. I will take the hybrid as it has marathon plus tyres and have done a lot of towpath riding so pretty much any track is accessible. I have also just had the rear wheel relaced so shouldnt be any issues. Think n+1 will play a part soon and a new thread "which touring bike should I buy"
Expensive hobby!!!!!!!!!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There you go. You can always buy a used touring bicycle, or a used touring bicycle frame. I took a number of parts, mainly from a hybrid, and built up a Fuji Touring Series IV recently. Best involvement of a traded hybrid(for the frame) and 30.00US(for the hybrid) I have run across. Absolutely stunning bicycle for distance riding and load lugging. Nice thing about some old tourers is that they have steel, lugged frames with all the braze-ons for a lot cheaper price than getting a current model.

Sounds like you've made the right decision. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take my Avail on a tour as long as I could fit my luggage in my SQR Slim bag

iwantanewbike

Über Member
To the OP - I appreciate you say you could attach a QR style bag clip to the saddle, however don't attach anything weighty to the seat post itself, as this is carbon fibre on the Defy 1 2014 model.

Top Bottom