Will the fork fit any frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
An absolute beginner here so please be patient with my silly questions.

I picked up a Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2017, black/blue/orange) fork for close to nothing at a local bike recycling shop. The lads there told me it came from an XL size frame, gave me the frame number and I was able to verify that on the Giant website. Will it fit any size R16 frame?

I understand that the (aluminium) steerer tube might require cutting, but other than that are there any differences?

Cheers!
/P

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Peter and :welcome: to CC.

I should think you'll be fine. So what's the plan? You want to buy a frame for it or do you have one in prospect?
Should fit a number of other frames too. A pic would be useful.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Ha! No plan at all mate, no plan at all. Found out about a local 'Re-cycle' place and decided to have a look around. It lied in a pile or junk that used to be a lovely bike. Apparently, it fell off a car rack. Ouch! Photos:

An odd chip here and there but otherwise looks good; nothing seems to be bent. Super long steerer tube. Actually, really like the colours/finish and would be great to find a matching frame- not sure how many there may be around.

Best,
/P

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say that's never been used due to the steerer being uncut. The chips likely coming from when it fell.
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find a matching Advance 1 frame at such a bargain price. Going to be several hundred quid at least and then you've got to find the high end components to hang on it. Probably looking at around £1.5k.
Bit like finding a cheap Ferrari steering wheel and then looking for the matching car to put it in. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Will probably try and save a bit on components (gears, wheels, brakes, etc.). Don't want to make the mistake of going all out and exotic as a rookie. I can always upgrade later.

Still, would be great to find a matching frame so it doesn't look like a clown bike ;-)

If anyone is selling I'm happy to have a chat :-D I'm kind of in between sizes and can use an S or M.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If worse comes to worse you can always spray them black which is how a lot of carbon fork comes. Then it can go with anything. Of course it'll match with a black frame which were all the rage just a little while back so should be quite a few on the secondhand market.

Forks vary in their geometry which can affect the responsiveness and stability of steering.
Some bike geometries are more sensitive to changes in fork geometry than others.

I replaced a bent fork with another. Slight difference in handling but you get used to it.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Lots of good advice, thank you.

I browsed through your Gumtrees and Ebays and can see that there's a lot of Giants up for sale. To be fair, I'm not in a hurry. Will definitely try and find a frame from the same (2017) model but if not will go with any Giant R16 frame - just to be 100% sure it will fit. Considered having it painted but it looks as though the waiting times for that are horrendous and I don't feel competent doing it myself.

Top Bottom