will these components match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apb

Veteran
Hi all

want to do new bike build and was wondering if these components match

Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 9 Speed Bar End Shifters
work with
Sora 3500 9 speed deraileurs. I'm sure the front will, but not so sure the back will.

Regards,

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They're both 9 speed so should work fine.

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
You can, just don't expect it to index fully. You can however turn the indexing off with those levers and they operate fine in 'Friction' mode.

thanks

Not sure i want to use the friction mode. I may need to do some rethinking.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
thanks

Not sure i want to use the friction mode. I may need to do some rethinking.
I get OK results with an 8spd rear cassette with my Dura-ace 9 speed bar end shifters, I think that is the closest spacing/cog width match (the bar end shifters are 8 or 9 speed Dura ace and the 8 speed spacing was kept but later 9spd was altered)

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
Ok, i understand your previous post.

So if i use an 8 speed cassette with the 9 speed shifter i get a better result.

I think i may ditch the bar end shifters and go for a new Tiagra groupset, but with canti's.

peterdowning

Veteran
I have just replaced the DA 7700 front and rear derailleur on my spare bike with newer Ultegra - I got seduced by some low prices on t'internet. Although they are *meant* to be 9-speed the DA7700 parts have been working perfectly with a 10-speed compact set up with 105 5600 STis. Even when running older 105 STI 5500 9-speed , I never had a problem with indexing any cassettes either from SRAM or Shimano. I never owned a 9-speed Shimano DA cassette, just Ultegra or 105. However, this wasn't with bar-end shifters (which is what the discussion is about!)

I still have the DA 7700 derailleurs which are still working perfectly but will probably put them on eBay as a pair soon.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have just replaced the DA 7700 front and rear derailleur on my spare bike with newer Ultegra - I got seduced by some low prices on t'internet. Although they are *meant* to be 9-speed the DA7700 parts have been working perfectly with a 10-speed compact set up with 105 5600 STis. Even when running older 105 STI 5500 9-speed , I never had a problem with indexing any cassettes either from SRAM or Shimano. I never owned a 9-speed Shimano DA cassette, just Ultegra or 105. However, this wasn't with bar-end shifters (which is what the discussion is about!)

I still have the DA 7700 derailleurs which are still working perfectly but will probably put them on eBay as a pair soon.
Yep the indexing on the shifters will match the cassette, the mechs only do what they're told to.

Top Bottom