Wills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Our wills our very old and outdated.

We need to have new ones drawn up.

Our finances are very simple and we want mirror wills.

I have had a range of prices quoted from £250-500 - ex vat.

Do these sound about right in today's market (£500 seems a bit OTT to me)?

TVC

There is an option for doing it yourself using a standard form if your will is simple, these people have straight forward advice

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/diy-wills-what-you-need-to-know

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Are you in a Union you may qualify for free one

About once a year solicitors do cheap ones & the money goes to charidy ...

Do the free one & base it on your old one ...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Straightforward mirror will should not cost anything like £500 and even £250 sounds a bit steep, but ok for a pair I guess.

You could of course just copy the framework of the ones you've got, just substituing I leave x to y where appropriate.
You need to sign it with the witnesses witnessing your signature. Witnesses mustn't be left anything at all

Or find a more sensibly priced lawyer - i got mine sorted for £100 odd.

i'd not go with a so called "will writer" - whilst it's true there's not that much to it, some of them know little more than f all.

i'd not dismiss diy if afairs straightforward - buy a book - which will help you in working out what you want to do anyway.

For a couple, key thing to think about is what happens if you are both killed in a single incident - car accident, house fire or whatever. Not as unlikely in the grand scheme of things as quite a lot of mishaps could get you both in one hit.

Top Bottom