Winchester to Lyndhurst - which way would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI All,

A few years ago the BiL and I cycled from Walton on Thames in Surrey to my MiL's cottage in the New Forest in Everton.
Most of the route was really nice*. The start is easy Walton, Chertsey, Frimley and lots of open countryside all the way to Winchester.

Where we came unstuck was trying to navigate through the cycling 7th circle of hell that is Southampton.

I am thinking of doing the Jouney again, and the question is still there. Is there a half decent road cycling route (i.e. quieter roads, no 60mph stretches etc) from Winchester to Lyndhurst. Which way would you go?

Thanks hive mind :-)

* he was meeting me en-route, went the wrong way and had an interesting cycle down the A30, but that's his fault for being stubborn and not turning back when we went wrong...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Have you tried 'cycle.travel'?

I used it to plan a Cobham to Poole route, which would approach Southampton near Eastleigh, taking a load of cycleways, some residential roads and a few cycle lanes to pass over the River Test and to Totton.
Our routes would diverge there, but Google maps shows the A35 has a shared path to Lyndhurst.

Reactions: mjr

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I haven't. I tried about 3 other apps though including Google, Strava and Komoot.
I just really wanted some local knowledge rather than trying to string something togethe
That's fine, i have only limited knowledge of thr area (From a camping trip at Ashurst).

But cycle.travel is a good shout generally, far better than google maps for cycle routes

Top Bottom