Wind. Evil, evil wind!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Did 45 miles today but it felt more like 70!

I thought I was doing incredibly well...for the first half of the ride, then I got away from the sheltering walls and hills around Gargrave and faced some of the worst side winds I've ever ridden in. That was bad enough but then on the homeward leg, it was in to a predominant head wind that at one point had me in the 39 ring just to maintain forward momentum...on the flat! Averaged 19 MPH on the outward leg, 9 MPH on the return!

Kies

Natures way of reminding you she is in charge

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That is why I have been doing the climb to Blackstone Edge from Littleborough rather than the alternative from Mytholmroyd for a week! Instead of the cross/headwind from hell, I have been benefiting from the cross/tailwind from heaven ... :thumbsup:

Mind you, it has been bloody windy getting to Littleborough in the first place! :laugh:

R600

Über Member
Did 45 miles today but it felt more like 70!

I thought I was doing incredibly well...for the first half of the ride, then I got away from the sheltering walls and hills around Gargrave and faced some of the worst side winds I've ever ridden in. That was bad enough but then on the homeward leg, it was in to a predominant head wind that at one point had me in the 39 ring just to maintain forward momentum...on the flat! Averaged 19 MPH on the outward leg, 9 MPH on the return!

This winter has been worse than the last few. i live in the far north 20 mile from John O Groats and since November it has been a near constant 30 mph wind with the odd day off. There isn't the luxury of many hedges up here so I've taken to running. hate the wind!!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
That is why I have been doing the climb to Blackstone Edge from Littleborough rather than the alternative from Mytholmroyd for a week! Instead of the cross/headwind from hell, I have been benefiting from the cross/tailwind from heaven ... :thumbsup:

Mind you, it has been bloody windy getting to Littleborough in the first place! :laugh:

I had the tremendous benefit of a following wind directly behind me all the way up the steep Nick of Pendle last week. When it's in your favour, it's so easy you feel like a pro rider!

R600

Über Member
decided to brave the elephants and went out on the bike. a bit of a calm day here only 20-25 mph winds, 1200ft of hills (not a lot to some) quite enjoyed myself :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I blame the gubbment... All these wind turbines are causing circular headwinds so whichever direction is ridden, the wind blows straight at you.
Have you noticed that when they're not turning that there's no wind?
That's when the turbine pixie switches them back on just to p*ss cyclists off!

:headshake:

Top Bottom