Wind-proof cycle jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Well after my DHB Wisp developed a small tear along the bottom and was returned to Wiggle I am looking for a wind-proof jacket to see me through the winter, and maybe the spring and summer if it gets a little nippy.

The DHB was nice until it tore, apart from the bagginess on the arms and the fact that it was a little short overall and rode up a bit at the rear.

Breathability is a must as I tend to get a little moist from the inside when cycling, although water resistant material wouldn't be bad either. £50 is what I'd like to spend but I could go a few quid over that for the right jacket. A few of the jackets on Wiggle's site look like that they might do the job but I am open to suggestions
smile.gif

scouserinlondon

Well after my DHB Wisp developed a small tear along the bottom and was returned to Wiggle I am looking for a wind-proof jacket to see me through the winter, and maybe the spring and summer if it gets a little nippy.

The DHB was nice until it tore, apart from the bagginess on the arms and the fact that it was a little short overall and rode up a bit at the rear.

Breathability is a must as I tend to get a little moist from the inside when cycling, although water resistant material wouldn't be bad either. £50 is what I'd like to spend but I could go a few quid over that for the right jacket. A few of the jackets on Wiggle's site look like that they might do the job but I am open to suggestions
smile.gif

I have an Altura windproof (not not waterproof at all) jacket, and it's excellent, bright and toasty. In fact I'm on my second one. I tend to pick up the last year's stock when new ones come out.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
£16 from aldi er or was it lidel ? anyway as good as any ive ever had and so cheap i got 2 one is waiting to be worn after this one is in tatters? ps its been hanging in the wardrobe for a year now

400bhp

Guru
I have an Altura windproof (not not waterproof at all) jacket, and it's excellent, bright and toasty. In fact I'm on my second one. I tend to pick up the last year's stock when new ones come out.

+1

I have the Altura Nightvision for the cold days (less than 5 deg) and an Altura reflex for "warmer" days (5-15 ish)

Just checked. The Nightvision cost £27 and the reflex cost £25 - both last years stock (at the time i bought them).

vickster

Legendary Member
The NightVision is a heavier jacket, not a light windproof, no chance of the getting in in a jersey, maybe the other way round :whistle: Hence, people saying they use it in winter(<5 deg or so)

scouserinlondon

The NightVision is a heavier jacket, not a light windproof, no chance of the getting in in a jersey, maybe the other way round :whistle: Hence, people saying they use it in winter(<5 deg or so)

this is true, it's a toasty winter jacket rather than an autumn wind cheater.

Dags11

Bought one of these (in black I hasten to add) last Oct (10) from PBK.

Have wore it in all types of weather and would give 10/10, well worth a shout for a wind proof/water resistant jacket.

Craft Jacket

vickster

Legendary Member
Your link was bust (too many http's) http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-elite-wind-jacket-649.html

It's a bit over the OP's budget

To the OP - is wind or waterproofness the most important thing - problem is waterproofs aren't normally very breathable or you get wet :laugh:

Montane definitely seem to get good feedback and the Featherlite is light.

I had a nightmare trying to find something that fit as I wanted, I reckopn you'd be best off going to a big LBS or be prepared to pay lots out in return postage potentially!

I don't think any £30 jacket will be windproof, waterproof, breathable and packable

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
All I need is to be windproof, breathable and reasonably packable. I suppose that I cannot use a heavier winter jacket in the warmer days of spring so I can always buy an ultralite shell for when I need it. Being waterproof isn't as important, merely water resistant would be enough as my base layer should dry out reasonably quickly under normal circumstances.
There aren't any LBSs around here that stock a good range a clothing, mainly bog standard waterproof garments.

Top Bottom