Windproof Jersey advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ron4322

About 25 (or more) years ago I bought a cycling jersey, zip fronted, in a knitted material. The front of the jersey and the front of the arms had a nylon (I think) windproof outer layer, but the back and the backs of the arms were just the knitted material, and so very breatheable. The front outer layer also coped well with light rain, when cycling into it.

I'm getting back into cycling after a layoff, and I'm struggling at the choice of jerseys and jackets, and don't really understand the options. Looking around the LBSs I don't see any jackets like I had - do such things still exist? The jersey I had is probably a bit too summer weight for what I want now, but I did like it. (Also, I can't wear it now, as in the years since I last wore it, it appears to have shrunk :smile:). Are there still jerseys on the market with a windproof front only and very breatheable backs? Is the windproof bit now hidden within the material, or are most jackets/jerseys made from the same material front and back?

The one I had was designed for a leant forward riding position. I now sit more upright so a less "racing" style of garment would be better - I don't particularly need back pockets - front ones would be OK - in fact I'd prefer a less cycling style of jersey that would be OK off the bike. Also, I'm not exactly king of the mountain shape, so an xl or possibly even xxl would be required.

Any advice, anyone? I'm looking for very breatheable, windproof (I think just the front would be OK, so the back can be as breatheable as possible). I'm not bothered about waterproofness. I'm looking for something for cool/cold weather (but will layer for the coldest weather, so a spring/autumn weight could be OK).

I would hope to not have to pay more than about £40 to £50 (£60 at a pinch for the bees knees of a garment), but would prefer to pay less if I can.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

MajorMantra

Something like this? Most of the big brands do them. They're sold as winter jerseys, softshell jackets and probably other things as well.

Matthew

Endura Windchill would fulfil a lot of your brief, mine in red is v nice indeed, just outside your price limit tho'. The FS260 Pro in the link above is a lighter construction, and possibly not so accommodating for the fuller figure. The XXL Endura's are a 48 chest and 42 waist and seem to be cut reasonably accurately these days. www.endura.co.uk

redjedi

Über Member
This is exactly what I was looking for recently.

MajorMantra said:
Something like this? Most of the big brands do them. They're sold as winter jerseys, softshell jackets and probably other things as well.

Matthew

and this is what I ordered today. I tried one on in Evans, and found the large is a "performance" fit i.e. a bit snug for me :bravo:

I'm a 42 chest, and 36 waist, but went up to the XL to give a bit more room for extra layers and allow me to breath out occasionlly :smile:

davidg

redjedi said:

and this is what I ordered today. I tried one on in Evans, and found the large is a "performance" fit i.e. a bit snug for me :blush:

I'm a 42 chest, and 36 waist, but went up to the XL to give a bit more room for extra layers and allow me to breath out occasionlly :rolleyes:

evans do a good clothing size guide on their website...

it is impossible to guess some of this stuff....I am simiar to you but would take an XXL in some shorts/jerseys (professional ones, I suppose), but can be a large in others

OP
OP
R

ron4322

Wow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'd tried to look for windproof fronts, both on the internet and in "real life" but had failed to find any, so had assumed they had gone out of fashion.

I'd obviously not looked very well, judging the number you have recommended.

Thanks again, this has given me a great start.

I have one of these

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shorts/lycra/product/airstream-17134

In the Picture the blue bits are windproof and the black bits including all the back are fleece.

I have not worm mine much yet: it was bought end of season this spring and this autumn its been too warm:smile: or i've been too ill to use it:sad: On the few occassions i have worn it it seems very windproof on the long fast descents and nice and snug.

An alternative for the money you are looking at spending might be to look at a cheap windproof gilet and a couple base layers.

rusky

CC Addict
I have one of these http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=9111

Not a jersey, but good for temps down to about 5 degrees until you need a jumper under it. I wear it with a t-shirt under most of the time.

redjedi

Über Member
redjedi said:

and this is what I ordered today. I tried one on in Evans, and found the large is a "performance" fit i.e. a bit snug for me :sad:

I'm a 42 chest, and 36 waist, but went up to the XL to give a bit more room for extra layers and allow me to breath out occasionlly :biggrin:

I got my jersey yesterday afternoon, and I've done 2 commutes in it so far.

It works perfectly, wind is kept off your body and arms but doesn't get too hot. I'm glad I went for the XL as it's a great fit.
I wore just my long sleeve base layer under it this morning and I did not get cold at all.

I got the red one and it looks great :biggrin::becool:

Top Bottom