Windproof top suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
My Parrot (remember them?) Pertex windproof smock tore irrevocably the other day after 17+ years, so got my money's worth. Fabulous top.Trying to find a replacement is proving difficult. The nearest I have got is the Montane Featherlite smock (£33 in a sale), but even the correct size (XL) is tight across the back when I lean forward but perfect everywhere else - not really acceptable. I assume they are not cut for cycling.
The only other one I have seen is the Buffalo windshirt, but I have no knowledge of how roomy they are. They also seem a bit pricey for just Pertex, but if there are no other options then I guess I'll have to pay it. So, does anyone have any other suggestions please?
Thanks in advance
Rick

Have a look on Amazon for an Optimum windproof top. They are around £18. Don't know about sizing but the cut is cycle specific and it's made of ripstop pertex (or equivalent lightweight polyamide).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I still have a Parrot Pertex Gilet and it's great .... but coming near the end of its life :sad:

Recently in 'Go Outdoors' I saw this by Paramo and was impressed (£50 from Memory).. I have just bought the Velez Light Smock for foul weather cycling and walking and so far it's fabulous (pricey but worth it):

http://paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXWINDPROOFSMOCKFUERAUNISEX

Oh, here it is ....
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-fuera-smock-mens-windproof-jacket-p142884

I find most cycle specific waterproofs/windproofs also too tight across back and underarms, The Paramo (at least the Velez Light smock) seems to be great in this respect.

TKMaxx occasionally have some windproofs in of diverse makes and quality

The other thing to consider (even as a stop gap) is the Karrimor ones from Sport Direct. At between £10 - £12 for a windprof running / cycle top they are almost disposable!

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think we are pretty much on the same wavelength - or else there isn't a great deal of choice:smile: I am planning to take a look at the Karrimor ones in Sports Direct - at that price almost disposable, I agree. I tried an Optimum top from Amazon in XXL but it was still too snug across the shoulders - went back. Who do they design these for?
Already have a Paramo Velez smock, but far too warm for summer for me (although it's not the light version). Maybe there is a gap in the market for a simple Pertex smock / jacket that isn't too tight!
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. Hope to find something from your information.

Edit: Just looked at the Paramo smock, Fab Foodie and looks really good - although I don't need it to be that waterproof, mainly windproof. Trip to Go Outdoors and Sports Direct! Thanks again

I tried a Fuera smock when they first came out but concluded that it was a) very loose, esp the arms (to be fair its not cycle specific) and b) had a lousy roll away arrangement for the hood. In fact I had words with Paramo about it, who were not helpful and I returned the Fuera as a result. Not bought Paramo since, although I have had a Velez smock for years and love the Paramo concept.

Yes, I had a Pertex Parrot top which I sold recently as it was way too big for me. We need a good range of Pertex cycling tops back on the market!

Top Bottom