Winner of BBC's Best New Building Vote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don't know what you all think, but personally I think this concrete box construction is a hideous hangover from 1960's style architecture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37564778
_91529970_outhouse2.jpg

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm with the people who say that it's nice but unremarkable, and it won against 5 even less remarkable buildings, perhaps with the exception of Weston Library in Oxford. It is a very deliberately retro-modern building. I happen to like that style, so that's fine with me. And I like the addition of the turf roof. However, I can't see that it's in any way as 'ecological' as they claim, certainly not in embodied energy (concrete) or, at least judging from its facades, in energy use.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Surely the BBC could have come up with six original buildings on its own initiative, instead of just copying the RIBA's Stirling Prize shortlist?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
DeStijl, minimalist design been done a 1000 times over. I love architecture but the'res nothing new here.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's not the prettiest, but as far as visual impact on the surroundings go it's good. The shots from the drone prove its no blot on the landscape.

Internally there is lots of big, light space (to scooter around). Like with many of these modern off the peg houses, they're not chocolate box but would be great to live in, as opposed to small windowed, brick boxes (like what I live in)

Top Bottom