Winter Bike Training bike etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Okay, your help please, I have just upgraded my commuter from Hybrid to a road bike, or so I thought!

Now I am starting to notice things like winter hack/bike trainer, do you really retire your best bike for the winter, is it really that hard on a bike?

If so how do I avoid wrecking it in the nest 4-5 months? I personally didn't see the point but now I have paid for it I am wondering (worrying) about my investment!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Post a pic of your bike and we can give our feedback!
How far is your commute and what type of roads, pure urban, some country lanes etc?
Mudguards an option?

gbb

Legendary Member
Some here dont have a winter bike and are happy to use their good bike all winter, fair play...but i'm not one of them :tongue:

Having progressed through 8, 9 and 10 speed bikes...there are several things ive noticed.

How much quicker a 10 speed chain wears (compared with an 8 speed) with summer use, let alone winter.

A previous Bianchi with carbon forks i had and used lightly through winter developed corrosion between the carbon forks and steerer, as a result of the salt of course.

Furry corrosion on an alloy frame where salt has got into chips in the paint. Fair enough, its easy enough to deal with but i'd rather it didnt happen at all.

My 8 speed winter commuter gets absolutely filthy in winter. I dont mind that, its not a hack, but a good strong Renolds steel bike with durable 8 speed transmission. I clean it at work almost every two or three days...and it still looks filthy after one days riding.

If you're happy cleaning very regularly, there's probably no reason not to use it but it's hard to imagine a 10 (or 9) speed transmission isnt going to wear quicker through the winter.

Bear in mind i'm a bit overprotective though :biggrin:

I use my winter bike all year round, pop the guards off and stick some racing tyres on it.
I do keep telling myself that I'll get a smart (italian) 10 speed summer bike but I never get around to it.

In August when the sun was shining (allegedly) I got hold of my first road bike for many years. It's nothing fancy just entry level (Cube Peloton), but I love riding this bike and have used it for my commute which is a round trip of 27K (at least 3 times a week ) from the start of September.

At the weekend I am getting up to around 60K on my long ride, further proof how much satisfaction I get from it. However over the last few weeks with the weather deteriorating I have reluctantly decided to revert to my previous (Spesh Hardrock Sport) bike for the commute. Not looking forward to it as much but I reason that as it was my trusty steed throughout most of the coldest winter in 40 years it can serve the same purpose once more.

The Peloton will be my road bike for the foreseeable future. It's probably as much bike that I will ever need. and there will be nothing carbon framed awaiting me to switch to in the summer so I reason that it is in my best interests to look after it. I'm looking at it in my office now as I type. Tbh it looks rather sad with its once pristine white frame plastered with crud from Berkshire's roads.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have drawn to the conclusion that if I have to replace parts due to excessive wear and tear riding in winter then so be it, the frame has a lifetime guarantee so its the gruppo and wheels at risk. Its way to nice to ride to leave in storage!!

I have gone from £300 - £360 per month in Fuel to around £180 Which once the bikes sucked up the savings around 12 months I can sub parts based on my saving, that how I am telling it anyway!

Peter10

I don't cycle enough to warrant a winter bike (but I wish I cycled more, but that's another story). You can use your normal bike and make some minor modifications (if necessary).

Top Bottom