Winter clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEL 707

Since things are going to be colder and wetter, I think I need some more appropriate clothing, since I've only cycled during the summer months.

What does everyone wear during these colder months? Can I get some recommendations?
I don't like anything tight fitting, 1 of the main reason I'm cycling to to help with weight loss, me in anything skin tight is not pretty :blink:.

I need some kind of top, and some fingered gloves, but 1 of my main questions is what kind of trousers do you wear? Also do you wear anything underneath your helmet?

vickster

Legendary Member
If cold, I wear padded tights and Altura winter cruisers over the top (these are a bit like lycra tracksuit bottoms, bit not tight - you could just wear running longs or tracksuit bottoms

Waterproof trousers might be an idea in heavy rain but they are sweaty

To be fair, if too cold or raining I don't cycle because I get uncomfortably cold very quickly

What you need really depends on how cold you get and how cold it is out! A gilet is an indispensable piece of kit, a thermal jersey and some sort of waterproof jacket - but avoid cheap as these are boil in the bag

Gloves, just go to an LBS and see what weight you need

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Can't beat a Buff under the skid lid on cold days. I wear Ronhill tracksters over 3/4 bibs with thermal socks, plus thermal long johns when it's really cold. Also recommend overshoes as they keep most rain out of your shoes and cut down the wind chill.

DTD

Veteran
+1 for a buff. I agree with coffeejo about soon getting warm – it's better to feel a bit too cold when you first set off, but one thing I think is worthwhile is decent waterproof gloves – I find cold hands and feet much worse than cold anything else.
If you want to spend money, I'd say spend it on a properly waterproof jacket.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most important for me is my feet. Consider reserving a chunk of your budget for good winter boots. On my hands I wear non cycling specific winter gloves. Plan to have carrying capacity to enable you to take layers off - easy to overheat on a sunny winter day.

Most important for me is my feet. Consider reserving a chunk of your budget for good winter boots. On my hands I wear non cycling specific winter gloves. Plan to have carrying capacity to enable you to take layers off - easy to overheat on a sunny winter day.
yet I am the exact reverse - I wear non cycling specific (Goretex) hiking boots with merino wool socks and use cycling specific waterproof gloves!

To the OP - you need to decide first if you are going to be cycling in the rain in winter. If not, then you will find that the expense of setting up for your first winter on the bike won't be as high. Wet winter riding requires decent quality kit if it is not to be uncomfortable. That said I have found that the DhB commuter waterproof jacket is quite effective (breathable with good ventilation) and was able to pick it up quite cheaply in the sales not so long ago (sadly it will now be massively too big for me because I have lost weight again, but...)

If you want to avoid lycra, then also consider some cycling specific thermal leggings. Whilst they are skin tight - they are also under something so don't get seen and are great in really cold (below zero) weather.
Also don't over estimate what you may need to wear. Not knowing how hot/cold your body runs, it is hard for us to give advice, but I know all of last winter I got by with either a thin merino wool top and my waterproof top or a thin merino wool top and a cycling jersey plus my normal winter cycling bib tights. I know I don't wear anywhere near as much as others do though! Buff I find best for the neck and have a skull cap for under my helmet (which didn't see much use last winter!)

Top Bottom