Winter Commuter Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiler100

New to the forum, so good to be here.

Looking for a good, loud and importantly non-sweaty jacket to buy this weekend for the winter commute. Last winter, my Altura nightvision did not do the job on the sweaty factor.
I ride about 5 miles each way.

Cheers
:biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
New to the forum, so good to be here.

Looking for a good, loud and importantly non-sweaty jacket to buy this weekend for the winter commute. Last winter, my Altura nightvision did not do the job on the sweaty factor.
I ride about 5 miles each way.

Cheers
:biggrin:

Welcome, Smiler!

I don't believe in 'breathable' jackets. I have a Night Vision, and whilst it's very waterproof and great for temperatures below freezing, it's simply far too hot for all other weather conditions. So you might as well have the most waterproof jacket for the lightest weight you can find, adjust other layers for warmth, and save the Night Vision for the snow and ice. Best waterproof I've had so far is the Montane Featherlite H2O Velo.

BSRU

A Human Being
You could try a Nightvision windproof, I find it keeps me warm but not too warm, if it gets a little colder I just put on another layer underneath.

amaferanga

Veteran
I have Nighvision windproof and its not bad. Bit warm if its above 10 degrees I'd say. Fit is quite baggy. The reflectives are great.

I'd recommend against the Montane Featherlite though if you spend any more than 1 minute in proper rain. I've had the Velo and the Velo H2O and neither were waterproof and they are incredibly flappy and annoying.

Waterproof jackets are a bad idea for everyday riding IMO. Unless you're spending more than an hour in the rain then a breathable windproof (like the Nighvision windproof) is a much better choice.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've just invested in a Paramo Velez Adventure Light. Breathability is so good it needs to be experienced. But OUCH! The price.

Jaguar

I've got a Night Vision and it does get a bit sweaty if I ride hard.
I tend to wear a breathable under it, and strip down as I go (I love how visible the Altura is and don't want to compromise on that)

BSRU

A Human Being
I have Nighvision windproof and its not bad. Bit warm if its above 10 degrees I'd say. Fit is quite baggy. The reflectives are great.

I'd recommend against the Montane Featherlite though if you spend any more than 1 minute in proper rain. I've had the Velo and the Velo H2O and neither were waterproof and they are incredibly flappy and annoying.

Waterproof jackets are a bad idea for everyday riding IMO. Unless you're spending more than an hour in the rain then a breathable windproof (like the Nighvision windproof) is a much better choice.

Strange my Nightvision windproof seems to be an athletic fit not baggy at all, unlike my Nightvision Evo which is baggy, they are the same size according to there labels.

deggers

hiya-I'm also a newbie, I've just bought a pearl izumi elite barrier jkt (60 quid from cycle surgery) its advertised as water resistant but i've just had it out in the pouring rain for 90 mins and its not leaked a drop!.Plus looks great and has a few flashes of reflectivey stuff. good value I think-its cut pretty close so you would get much under it but i reckon a base layer and a jersey under it and you'd be laughing unless its sub zero. well theres my two penneth! hope it helps!

jimboalee

My choice is
1/ a decent base layer, plus
2/ a tee shirt when its really cold, plus
3/ a long sleeve full zip fleece jersey with back pockets, plus
4/ a race cape JIC it rains.

Stuff that is easily washed, even in works wash basin and hung out to dry on radiator.

No big flappy jackets.

I have given up on waterproofs....they keep you dry from the outside but you sweat so much inside that they do not stop you getting wet. The lack of ventilation makes it cold and wet which is worse than not having waterproofs on.

My preferred method is to wear several layers (baselayer, bibtights, long-sleeved jersey and light gilet). When it rains I will get wet, but the layering acts like a wetsuit and I keep warm while moving. I just make sure that I have a full set of clothes too change into at my destination.

It is physically impossible to purchase a waterproof that does not make you wet inside, however breathable and waterproof the manufacturer claims it to be.
If you are ambling along at 10 mph, perhaps you won't sweat, but any light effort will produce moisture and make you wet, probably more than without a waterproof!

For the record, I have a Montane Featherlight H2O and it is great at sealing in the sweat! By the time I get home, the wind has usually blown my outer layers dry and I take off the Montane to find soaking wet underlayers.

Top Bottom