Winter gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I am looking for a quality pair of winter gloves. I need them to be as waterproof and windproof as possible.
I don't mind spending a bit of cash as long as they are fit for purpose.
I have seen a couple of nice gore gloves on wiggle.
Anybody got some good recommendations and reviews?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I bought a "boxed set" of Assos gloves, consisting of a very thin pair of liners, a medium/heavy weight set of windstopper type stuff, and a pair of slightly disturbing seal-flipper 3 finger waterproof overmits. They are sized as per Russian Dolls so you aren't squashed if you wear the inners as well. Taken together or seperately work rather well, and at the special off price of merely £100 fair value just about. At full price, presumably more brutal, you might have to think a bit . Good gear all the same. Not sure if they still do these, at least not as a set. I think the middle layer are their "early winter gloves"

As an alternative, I've got a pair of Altura bright yellow windstoppery ones which are also very good, in the bargain bin @ well under £20 - would be worth paying £25 / £30 for these, albeit not quite as good as the Assos - comparably warm & effective as the middle set of the Assos ones, but not as "nice". These are a lot warmer, even in the wet, than the Altura waterproof yellow gloves which look much the same. If really cold I'd want some kind of overmitt over either - but I do suffer from cold hands

GJT

Über Member
I've only started cycling in the last 6 months, so don't have much experience, but I bought some winter gloves from Aldi which are waterproof and windproof. I did find my fingers were still cold when it was below freezing, so started to wear these underneath, which made quite an improvement. I have read a comment on here that said the Lidl/Aldi gloves were as good as £30 Sealskinz though, so maybe it's not always a case of getting what you pay for.
http://www.arco.co.uk/products/12T5500/384045/Arco+Knitted+Polyester+Chill+Liner

john59

Guru
For winter use I use Lobster gloves and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. I was using them today for my ride.Having the fingers together helps to keep them warm.

John

deadhead1971

I've got the SealSkinz extra cold weather gloves and they're great. If it's very cold (below zero), you might feel cold in them until your body has warmed up after a good 10 minutes of riding or so. After that initial discomfort, they will be absolutely fine.
A warning about SealSkinz though - they do another line called "All Weather" gloves, and they are certainly not! If you use them below about 5C, you'll be numb.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The Aldi gloves I've found to be excellent. They keep my hands warm even on cold windy days like today. One tip for any gloves, if it's very cold, or you're not going fast enough to generate much heat, wear a pair of sillk liner gloves underneath your usual gloves - they really do help.

yello

I'm sure there have been some significant advances in the last 5 years or so but my Specialized Radiant gloves are still going strong and doing the job they were bought for. I was out in -2c (with windchill -5c) the other day and my hands and fingers were fine. In fact, I find they are too warm in temperatures above 4 or 5c.

They are not the most waterproof gloves you can buy though. They do ok and keep the worst of it off but will keep your hands warm.

Generally speaking, lobster claw style gloves are reputed to be warm. I believe Pearl Izumi make some.

I'd love to have a go with the Assos system gloves... if only I could afford them!

+1 on the Endura gloves. I have a set of women's Endura Strike Winter Gloves and used them on our world tour as wel. They are beginning to wear out now, but have been excellent for a £30 glove and I rarely need to put merino wool glove liners on underneath them in this country. (the pair that are now giving up are my 2nd set of these gloves - nothing to do with their quality simply kit wears out very quickly on long tours). the wearing out bit is that the waterproofing is just starting to give up in seriously wet weather. I will replace them with the same glove quite happily.

Top Bottom