Winter gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I know its of no use at the moment but I have a pair of Aldi cycling golves and they are great. I had to take them off about 1 mile before i reached work as my hands were too hot. So 9 miles in and my hands felt cooked

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I can't recommend the SealSkinz "lobster" gloves highly enough. They'll keep your hands toasty in subzero conditions.
sealskinz-bar-mitten-glove-11-med.jpg

Attachments

• sealskinz-bar-mitten-glove-11-med.jpg
    sealskinz-bar-mitten-glove-11-med.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 29

lejogger

Guru
Gloves are such a personal preference as everyone has different circulation and thresholds for cold. I use Altura Progel Waterproof for my winter gloves and they keep my hands warm enough most of the time, but half the club turned up on Sunday with what I can only believe were hi-tech oven mitts.

I must admit though I get a lot colder on the club runs than I do when I'm commuting, (especially on flat rides) because you're just not working as hard when in the bunch.
I often have cold hands for the first mile or two of my commute, but once warmed up I'm fine. Generally speaking if I'm toasty warm when setting off then I know I'll be in trouble with getting too hot by the time I'm halfway to work.

Try upping your speed to get your circulation going, or find a climb close to the start of your ride and what you've already got should be plenty good enough.

...or MTFU!! (joke ;))

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It's not always about how hard you push yourself - I beasted it home yesterday afternoon as I was so darn cold and was lovely and toasty by the time I got off my bike - apart from my hands which were so clumsy and painful from the cold that I really struggled opening the lock on the shed door.

Alexvs

I've got the Perl Izumi P.R.O softshell lobster gloves here: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=53072

I didn't pay that much though as I did this:

Saw these: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=52080&categoryID=1167 which I thought would be ideal as can be used with or without the lobster pullover parts so went onto Evans website and used their price match on these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle. After ordering they sent me the lobster softshell version instead as the image is the wrong one but the name is correct so therefore they price match the cheaper versions for the lobsters. They're great for the price ^_^

I tried on a pair of lobster gloves last Saturday (they fitted beautifully and felt instantly warm!). When I then tested them on a bike in the shop that had the same shimano gears as my bike - DAMN....I couldnt use the levers properly so didnt buy them.

Most of my club wear the Aldi gloves and find them great in sub zero temperatures but I found as with most gloves I must say that my thumbs become sore but I don't like overheating ! The only time I have been the perfect temperature was last year during the long freeze when I took to wearing track mitts under proper ski gloves which also have inserts, its probably too warm for that this year as my riding is more aggressive.

Svendo

Guru
These have proved warm enough for me this winter so far. 5 1/2 hours on Saturday, temperature around freezing for instance. I also have some Decathlon silk inner gloves but haven't needed to use them with the Altura's yet.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My sealskinz are far too warm on all but the very coldest days. My hands tend to sweat too much in them in above zero degrees.

Top Bottom