Winter Kit Upgrade - Bib tights, overshoes recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

I'm in the market for a new set of bib longs and overshoes for winter riding. Current temperatures on my ride are between -2c and positively balmy 4c.

I am a pragmatic rider (read: grippit bugger) and anticipate i'll be riding in these only a few weeks a year. I have been recommended / looked at the following brands for each item:

Bib tights (budget £30-60ish)
Galibier Énergie 2 Bib Tights (£73.90)
Planet X Clubman Roubaix Winter Bib Tights (£34.99)
dhb Aeron Men's FLT Roubaix Bib Tights 2.0 (£40.00)

Overshoes (£25-35ish)
Gripgrab Ride Winter (£37.95)
BBB Heavy Duty Overshoes (£25.99)

Does anyone have recommendations for either item that come within the proposed budgets above? If you recommend can you provide anecdotal evidence of why your kit suggestion is valid ;)

Jody

Stubborn git
I've used DHB bibs for a good few years now and have no complaints. It's been a while since I last bought a pair so don't know if the quality is still the same.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I’ve found overshoes aren’t the best for keeping feet toasty (I always get cold feet) so maybe add in a pair of sealskins socks to your list.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

I’ve found overshoes aren’t the best for keeping feet toasty (I always get cold feet) so maybe add in a pair of sealskins socks to your list.

Aye, i'm wrapped in BBB Heavy Duty overshoes + DeFeet Slipstreem oversocks as well as warm wooly socks. Toasty, but the quality of both those oversocks and shoes is ropey at best. They fall to bits and tatters with very little use.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have tried all sorts of things to keep my feet warm and dry. Save your money and buy a pair of winter boots. There is nothing to beat them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BBB Overshoes - make sure you get the PU coated ones - these are more waterproof - I've used their thick Hardwear ones for commuting all year for many years, although now use Winter boots. Roubaix style tights should be enough, although if proper cold you may want some with a windproof front over your knee/thigh - these make a big difference for me. Jackets, when cold, I have a Decathlon thermal jacket, otherwise it's a softshell with some wind proofing (most 'softshells' are).

Winter boots are the 'bees knees' but not cheap - £200, but they last.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
BBB overshoes have been hardwearing & reliable for me, but not as good as winter boots. They cannot be as waterproof. I'd buy BBB again. I've had others, sealskins for example, which didn't last very long at all.

I am presently wearing some of these Caratti bibtights, which are the warmest ones I own and are very nice quality - £30

https://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/caratti-sport-bibtights

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

BBB overshoes have been hardwearing & reliable for me, but not as good as winter boots. They cannot be as waterproof. I'd buy BBB again. I've had others, sealskins for example, which didn't last very long at all.

I am presently wearing some of these Caratti bibtights, which are the warmest ones I own and are very nice quality - £30

https://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/caratti-sport-bibtights

These look ace, but out of stock in my size.

Consensus for feet seems to be winter boots. Will check with my work to see what we get from our suppliers and what trade price is.

Top Bottom