Winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

After getting a new road bike (Specialized Allez) through the C2W scheme, I'm motivated to get out and do some more miles. Problem is, the timing of my company's scheme means that I've just got it as the winter weather starts to set in. I do have an old mountain bike with road tyres which i've been using , so can use that through the winter to keep my new bike nice and shiny. However, now I have the Allez it's so much more pleasurable to ride and it seems a shame to leave it home. Any tips on using road bikes through the winter and am I going to ruin my new bike by taking it out in the colder and wetter weather? Or am I being a tart and should just accept a bike is to be used, rain or shine (I took it out for a spin today in the wet, and by the end had splattered all sort of gunge over my new shiny toy, although it was great to get out!!)

Many thanks

Garz

Squat Member
Im just using mine as although its my first road bike and once regarded as pride 'n joy, realistically I want to get the most from it. I dont want it sitting around for 2-3 months just cos the weather is grim, gives me satisfaction knowing your using it. Then later on you can demote it to a winter bike if you manage to upgrade to a fresh one in the future!

potsy

Rambler
I got the same problem Willo,new bike just in time for winter,lot better to ride than my hybrid but every day it's absolutely filthy,at the moment am just giving it a weekly wash,lube chain etc.
By spring the novelty might have worn off then it will be time for bike number 3:biggrin:

l4dva

Guru
When i first got my bike it used to get wash/lube etc weekly, now it just gets used all around rain or sunshine(well almost) Im not bothered if it gets dirty now, I know all the vital bits are well looked after! when it gets warmer again ill give it more regualar and proper washes.

Just use it and enjoy it.... and as Garz mentions ull soon want a new shiney one to promote to ur sunday best bike

C

chillyuk

Winter? What winter? We don't have winters anymore, especially in the south.

Now when I were a lad...........................................

Tynan

Veteran
it'll work just fine all year round, better if you have mud guards perhaps

a wipe with a damp cloth and looking after the transmision is a good idea

but it's there to be riden and all the parts that wear can be changed

WickfordWheels

I'm planning on getting myself a road bike but have decided to wait until the spring because I dont want to be riding a new bike over the winter. I think its just an initial reaction and perfectly normal, it seems such a shame to get something thats new and shiny all dirty and covered in road grunge.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If you are riding a 1/2 decent bike from now until March... get mudguards on.. even if they are just raceblades.. they will pay back in time saved and muck everywhere saved 100 fold by the time comes to take them off again.
They havent even started to salt yet!
:wacko:

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Many thanks. Don't think I'll be able to resist carrying on through the winter so will live with the muck and will try and make the effort to wipe it down once a week. Will look into some race blades also.

Top Bottom