Winter shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
It is now getting to the time of year when it is a bit parky in the morning. And it is only going to get colder.

I currently have SPD compatible Shimano 'touring' shoes - similar to the RT51 - and use neoprene overshoes in winter.

Anyway, I think I have fairly duff circulation but this morning my toes were bit chilly, and I remembered that in the sub zero depths of winter my feet are absolutely freezing.

I can't fit any more socks in my (snug) shoes, so what does anyone suggest to get my feet warmer for when winter bites?

Would taping up the mesh on the uppers do anything?

Are sealskinz socks comfortable for cycling in?

Am I better getting another slightly larger pair of shoes and doubling up on the socks?

Or should I bite the bullet and buy some winter boots. But if so, which boots are MTB SPD compatible with a road type look to suit my audax bike?

What does everyone else do?

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've got a pair of sealskinz sock and I've done 50 mile cycles in the wet and found them very comfortable. I also tend to use them as an over socks and they are very good at that. I've not got much room in my shoes but tend to wear them with a pair of thinner socks underneath.

Dormouse

Sealskinz socks are fine for cycling. I use them when the roads are wet or there is a chance of a shower. But they don't keep my feet warm.

I have been looking into winter boots and I don't care what they look like on a road bike as long as they keep my toes warm! They seem to cost £80-£105 and take SPDs.

Lake MXZ 301 are recommended by American bloggers for use in sub-zero temperatures but they are narrow so may be no good for my feet. I haven't found any shops within 100 miles that stock them.

Shimano MW02 have a tight rubber cuff but have decent reviews. There is also an MW80 but I haven't seen any rev iews yet.

Specialized Defrosters also have decent reviews but are not the warmest.

Northwave Celcius could also be worth a look.

For reviews see Wiggle and Bike Radar but you really need to try them on in a shop too.

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
I think the Northwave Celsius ones don't look too bad. Some of the others look like you are doing a shift on a building site.

I was hoping that the windproofing of the sealskinz would make them a bit warmer than normal socks. I'll have a look at some of the shoes you suggest, what with Christmas coming up.

domtyler

Über Member
The key is to understand the principles. Firstly, keep the wind and wet off with a wind proof and waterproof outer shell. Beneath this you need insulation, this means effectively trapping as much still air as possible beneath the outer shell while allowing as much blood to circulate as possible. Thinking about this more, cramming more and more pairs of socks in is not going to achieve extra warmth as it will take the place of air and restrict circulation.

I would go for a fairly loose fitting outer shell with maybe one pair of loose woolly socks and and inner pair of silk or cashmere socks depending on how tight your shoes are.

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
Thanks Dom. That is my problem. I don't want to put any more socks on as I will just end up with colder feet. I think I need to experiment with different socks, I'll keep any eye out for some thin wool socks as they are substantially warmer than the cotton I was wearing at the weekend.

My overshoes are a bit tight fitting too and some other designs look like they have a better wrap round to the soles, so maybe that is the way to go? I quite like the look of the Northwaves, although I see a review on Bike Radar implying they aren't very warm.

I probably should point out that my standard runs go up to 400 - 500m above sea level and there is often snow and ice around, so it does get pretty chilly up there.

I am normally pretty good at this sort of thing as I do quite a bit of mountaineering and always have warm feet, even if standing in snow all day. Funnily enough, my hands are always cold then, whereas my hands are always fine on the bike!

giant man

I have winter boots - Diadora Chili Extreme - and they are brilliant. I use them with De Feet Aeriator socks (wonderful) or Sealskinz socks. But beware, the Sealskinz are not waterproof, no matter what they claim.

Tynan

Veteran
bought Diadora Chillis (not sure about the extreme) and frankly they're shoot, they aren't waterproof and they aren't warm, better than summer shoes but that's about it

Top Bottom