Winter Tyres - Sick of Getting Punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm still running some Vittoria Rubino 700x23C which are clearly no match for the wintery damp roads covered in leaves, thorns, thistles and generally sharp pointy things. Stuff is getting through the tyre and I have had 3 punctures in two days (prior to that I have had no punctures in 6 months). Bike is a Giant Defy road

I have some Gatorskins I could put on, but what I think I need is:

Something with a tred (a first for me)
Something with a harder compound

How about
  • Schwalbe Marathon Touring Tyre - GreenGuard > details £19.99 each
Max size I can go is 700 x 25c

I just want some basic chunky durable tyres.

BTW, this is what my current tyre is supposed to be made from, layer upon layer of not very much.
I think after on "season" they have had it. I can't see any problems, no holes or nicks or cuts,but I guess they are just worn. They are terrible in the wet anyway, like slicks.

?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7UIVfTObHVHCBvesVJ4YIcvQ3wwq4DTSyy5B8U2OCms_EIoGwe21oXgR3DgF6VkjsVlvlyJxn&usqp=CAE.jpg

Added > Gatorskin Cross section ...

?q=tbn:ANd9GcScjsvwjgFJWiolNEGTT7Jqu3FYq9RNWqxTX-elqpn1h9whHRtVoUJjQe6tJMZPsvJO6zwfwict&usqp=CAE.jpg

jhawk

Veteran
I'm assuming that you don't get much snow or icy conditions, but if you do, you could at Schwalbe's Ice Spiker (Or something like that) line? These are studded tyres. I don't have a pair - far too bloody expensive for me! But, I know someone who does and they're apparently worth the expense.

potsy

Rambler
You don't need tread if you're riding on roads only, but yes the Marathons look to be a lot tougher than your current tyres.
Just be aware that they come up big' for their size so a 25 would be more like other makes of 28.

I experimented with putting 28's on my road bike the other week, had a spare marathon that was too big but a Marathon Supreme in 28 fitted perfectly :thumbsup:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Actually, I favour a little tread in winter. Winter roads are invariably damp and when mixed with grit, there's a fine slippy paste.

semi slicks like the Marathon Greenguard should serve you well.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've been using the Conti 4 season on my main commuter. Like the Gators but have an extra layer of kevlar like material and slightly thicker siliconised rubber. The Marathon Plus have very thick silicone based rubber compound and so are slightly more resistant.

Just remember that some tread can hold pucture causing materials like flint and broken glass so you'd need to inspect the tyres regularly.

EDIT - also the age of your tyres plays a part in protection. Newer tyres will be more resistant than older. I got about 6-8000 miles out of one set of Gators iirc

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Marathon (plus) or Durano (plus).

Now. What was the question again?

D

Deleted member 22722

I've been running Durano Plus in a 28c size on my commuter since January. These get hammered on all manner of surfaces (on and off road) and I can't fault them. They're not the lightest but as far as puncture protection goes they are doing the job for me so far and that's the most important thing.

I've previously used Gatorskins and although the puncture protection was pretty good I do find the Durano Plus a little grippier, especially in the wet.

You dont need tread, slicks have more grip on tarmac, but tread is useful for mixed surfaces. You don't want a harder compound, this gives you less grip, what you want is a compound more suitable for cooler temps, and and a good anti puncture strip in the tyre. Tell us what your budget is and you will be plenty of recommendations.
My current personal favourite is the Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 25mm

Top Bottom