Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Last winter I slipped on ice at slow speed and came off the bike, so I got some MTB tyres and stuck them on my 26" wheel hybrid and all was good, except that I couldn't use the full guards in snow as there wasn't enough clearance. And I like my full mudguards :biggrin:

So this year I'm commuting on a new drop-bar bike and I'm going to have the hybrid shod with knobbly rubber for snowy/icy days/weeks/months, but I wanted something that I could leave on that would go under my mudguards, and be good off-road too if necessary. Cue a lot of searching for tyres, mostly seem to be 26" x 1.75 or over, until I go into the LBS yesterday and see a skinny tyre hanging up. I assume it's a cyclocross tyre and have a look at it, it's a Schwalbe CX Pro and the size is 26 x 1.35, a narrow knobbly 26" tyre! He only had one in stock but he's getting another in for me.

It means I can have my knobblies on, and SKS Bluemels so that I'm not faffing round removing mudguards etc. I thought I'd share in case anyone else was in the same boat as me looking for an über-specific tyre!

24614.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll still come off on ice - I'd recommend studded tyres, and you can get them for hybrids

BSRU

A Human Being
Marathon Winters for ice, fitted to my hybrid with mudguards no problem as it normally has 38c tyres fitted but the MW's are a slender 35c.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Marathon winters don't get round the mudguard problem. I know there's a risk of coming off on ice with a standard knobbly. Plus one Marathon winter is more expensive than two of the above.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can you give us an idea of how to sneak one of them into the shed without the Mrs. noticing? :biggrin:

Probably 1 wheel at a time .... each time wrapped up in a brown paper bag ... or maybe a B+Q bag to make her think its garden/DIY stuff. Do you think she would fall for it... or you think she would notice the extra wheel when you came to ride it? :biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
Can you give us an idea of how to sneak one of them into the shed without the Mrs. noticing? :biggrin:

Get some rolls of chrismas wrapping, and a VERY big bag from one of the girlie stores, Next or Top Shop or whatever.

Put the giant sized bag around it with the wrapping paper stcking out of the top, and bring it in, looking round furtively.

Hope she assumes you've bought her a HUGE Christmas present and are taking it to the shed to wrap it and hide it 'til then.

You also need to hope she's forgotten about it in 2 months time or you may be in even deeper doo doo than if you got caught now

zoxed

Über Member

Man-up and just buy one :-)

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
She's got eyes like a damn hawk, plus now I've tidied the shed, she does venture down there every so often to the tumble drier, she'd notice that the large space I've cleared would be filled with expensive trike! :biggrin:

Why am I still perusing the internet looking for trikes though?! I've just bloody built a winter bike!

She's got eyes like a damn hawk, plus now I've tidied the shed, she does venture down there every so often to the tumble drier, she'd notice that the large space I've cleared would be filled with expensive trike! :biggrin:

Why am I still perusing the internet looking for trikes though?! I've just bloody built a winter bike!

Add Stabilizers instead! :biggrin:

Top Bottom