Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
I have just fitted the new 50-559 Conti Topcontact Winter II (model 2011) tyres to two of our bikes. These are not studded tyres, but they use car winter tyre technology with low temperature compounds and a tread pattern optimized for winter use. So far I am very impressed, as I have not yet been able to make them slide on compacted and icy snow. Of course, they probably have limitations in more extreme weather than we have here (daytime temperature a few degrees below freezing and a couple of inches of snow that is renewed periodically), but the good news is that these ride very well, with rollling resistance comparable to an ordinary medium tread touring tyre. They are also fairly light and zippy compared to studded ones. If you are faced with heavy snow accumulation you will need a courser tread, and on ice you will need studs, but if your conditions are rarely that extreme, these may be the perfect compromise. As with my car winter tyres, from now on I will put these on in Novemer and exchange them for summer tyres sometime around April. I will see what kind of more extreme conditions these will cope with, and I may get a heavily studded front Nokian tyre with big knobs to put on when the going gets really rough. However, for now these are a big improvement, and probably all that I need. The only real downside is that these are expensive. I got them much cheaper from http://www.bike-components.de/shop/cat/c571_Spike-Tire.html
Willem

Yellow7

Über Member
At the start of my present bicycle tour the Schwalbe tyres I wanted were on back-order by every supplier so I opted for the Continental Topcontact as were rated as puncture protected, with over 5300 miles there still going strong with only 1 puncture to date (guess I shouldn't have said that!) so really quite pleased with them, and the tread is still good for more tarmac, not too sure about the intended [winter] usage though as it's dry (as a bone) where I am.

Mark wallisonwheels.com

OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
But be careful: there are Topcontacts and Winter Topcontacts, and they are different tyres.
Willem

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks for the review Willem
As one of the very few UK motorists who regularly fits winter tyres to his car I was very interested in these.....
Shame the 700c is only available in 37 mm though.

Top Bottom