Wireless computers Vs. Wired computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I may have to pull a Sheldon's mum on that and state "... and that is your opinion". ^_^

I don't think so though, there is nothing wrong with trying to understand what someone is saying. It is unlikely to make a difference to my opinion but I would like to understand what User's point was anyway.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 2369180, member: 45"]Spot on.

I've had stacks of experience of computers. Without question the wired are more faithful and simpler. I've had failures with both, and it's always the contact between computer and mount. There's nowhere else on a wired computer where I've ever experienced or heard of a connection problem.[/quote]

Fair point with regards the units that have such contacts, however many wireless units don't have such contacts though. Mine needn't even be any where near the bike.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
[QUOTE 2367295, member: 45"]Given that the contact fail point is where the computer connects to the mount, and both wired and wireless are detachable, I don't think this is the case. [/quote]

I had a wired Cateye Strada which did not like moisture getting into the contact area between the head unit and the mount. There are two tiny spring-loaded contacts there, very light pressure contact, which go straight into the head unit. Even a small amount of surface contamination would intefer with the connection. WD40 and regular polishing worked but it was a pain if I forgot to do it.

I've never had any problem with the wireless versions but then, of course, they don't have these contact pins.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I had a wired Cateye Strada which did not like moisture getting into the contact area between the head unit and the mount. There are two tiny spring-loaded contacts there, very light pressure contact, which go straight into the head unit. Even a small amount of surface contamination would intefer with the connection. WD40 and regular polishing worked but it was a pain if I forgot to do it.

I think what User is saying as that wireless computers also have these contacts. Some do, for some daft reason. Many don't.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The answer to the choice between a wired computer or a wireless computer is - it's the wrong choice! Buy a GPS instead and use the speed/mileage functions that provides as well as having a valuable navigation aid. I have seen Garmin Etrex models like mine go for under £20 on eBay.

U

User6179

A wired computer is more likely to fail in the wet than a wireless computer.

Yep, my 10 year old spesh wired computer always stops working in the rain where as my wirless strada and trek seem to cope fine.

ColinJ

What Garmin extrex model? What does it measure? Colinj
I have the old yellow Etrex, the one that Garmin replaced with the Etrex H. Here's an example of a cheap eBay purchase - link.

The GPS can measure current speed, average speed when moving, average speed over journey including stops, maximum speed, trip distance, total distance (odometer), elapsed time, time of day, altitude, sunrise/sunset times, and so on and so forth. As I say - I wouldn't buy a computer when a GPS can do all the important functions plus record your rides as a detailed tracklog AND show you where you are going.

The 'H' is a slightly better model which uses a more sensitive chipset to get a better satellite lock, but the original is fine outdoors except in very tight gorges or under heavy tree cover. I think mine only lost GPS signal 2 or 3 times in 7 years of heavy use.

These simple models do not contain maps so you plan the routes at home and upload them to the device which will then show you where to turn.

You would also need a handelbar mount, and an interface cable. Note - if you don't have an old serial port on your computer than you'd need an RS232-USB adapter as well. Some of the models further up the old Etrex range had USB connections and built-in maps so it might be worth looking at them.

If you do the research and shop around, you could probably get a working Etrex, handlebar mount and cable for under £30. Lots of interesting/useful GPS info here.

ColinJ

Colinj thank you. I will Defo look in to this. I maybe in contact if I get stuck.
If money isn't an issue, then obviously it would be simpler just to buy a new model from the current range.

However, if money is an issue then you can still pick up these old models and they work well, it just takes longer to shop around and make sure that you get the right bits. The cables differ from one model to another so you need to be extra careful with those.

Top Bottom