Witchcraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am a 'Big man' frame guy,the 'DAWES', 'F w Evans', ',Thorn' & a 'Tom Board' special all over 24", all were a bit wobbly except the Tom Board, which had the seat stays bought forward of the seat tube, but I know ride a super stiff recumbent.
The compact frame design is best for a strong frame in my view, and I am only 6'2", 33" inseam.
Depends where your length is,I, am in proportion, but barrel chested, with arms of an Orangutan, but don't drag my knuckles when I am walking.
I'm only 5' 11 1/2" (I used to be 6' but I've shrunk a bit with age) but 34" inside leg in jeans so 'standover height' is fine.

Fredo76

Über Member
Is a "gate frame" slang for a tall one?

grldtnr

My use of looks like a “farm gate“ . Many years back a club mate said “ Has the farmer noticed you have stolen his gate to build your bike “.
Yes, us afflicted tall people do refer them as gates, when I met one of my shorter friends, he said 'i'd need a set of kitchen steps to get on your bike'

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A gate is a large and/or ugly frame.

grldtnr

Yes, us afflicted tall people do refer them as gates, when I met one of my shorter friends, he said 'i'd need a set of kitchen steps to get on your bike'
Mind you ,one my current rides , the recumbent ,is rather a long bugger, prone to trip over the thing.

THIS, is a witch craft.

43516687-39e1-4804-9f50-513c1aa700ad_720x.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I just spotted another one... @Rickshaw Phil's saddle in the last photo in THIS RIDE REPORT also points upwards slightly at the front.

This is how I have my saddles...

View attachment 614856
Coming late to this: Yes, I have my leather saddles set slightly nose up as that's what works for me after much experimentation. If they are set level I find the action of pedalling tends to make me slip forward onto the nose which puts pressure in places it shouldn't be.:blink:

It's only nose up by one notch on the bike in the linked ride write up, but tends to look steeper than that in a lot of photos.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Coming late to this: Yes, I have my leather saddles set slightly nose up as that's what works for me after much experimentation. If they are set level I find the action of pedalling tends to make me slip forward onto the nose which puts pressure in places it shouldn't be.:blink:

It's only nose up by one notch on the bike in the linked ride write up, but tends to look steeper than that in a lot of photos.
It's curious how different peoples bodies are! I go the opposite way and lower the nose by one notch on the clamp. If I go to two or more, I suffer the way you describe.

I have seen saddles tilted crazily far down, what must be at least 4 or 5 notches on the clamp. The riders basically wouldn't be sitting ON their saddles so much as AGAINST them! :eek::wacko:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The "witchcraft" is that you have to respect a fixie. At some point, it will try to kill you. Keeps you alert.
My most memorable fixed wheel fails are when I have not been on fixed . Happily riding along on gears in traffic or approaching a bend . Then pushing back on the pedals to slow down . :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The "witchcraft" is that you have to respect a fixie. At some point, it will try to kill you. Keeps you alert.
I got put off trying one on the road after a near-death encounter with a fixed gear gym bike! :whistle:

It had a huge metal flywheel which must have weighed 20+ kg. It gave the bike a great feel when pedalling. I had intended to just warm up on the machine but it felt so good that I did 20+ minutes and built up to a 20 second full-on sprint. "Okay, enough of that, time to switch to the rowing machine..." thought I, and promptly stopped pedalling. It took me a couple of minutes to extract my head from the ceiling of the gym, and another couple of minutes to reattach my legs! :laugh:

Top Bottom