Wolverhampton to Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
Just wondered if anyone is mad enough to commute from Wolverhampton to Birmingham.

If so do you take the cycle routes and go along the canal?

Do you do it in the dark

Do you have a better route.

How long does it take you.

Note I'm more towards the M54 but I believe Wolverhampton would be my route.

I reckon it's 19m off-road and 18 miles on road but probably both routes equally fatal given the choice of roads or youths.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I sometimes use the canal to get from Birmingham to Stourbridge. I turn off left to go through the Netherton tunnel but you could carry straight on to Wolves, nice ride.

OP
OP
ushills

ushills

Veteran
Without wishing to offend anyone, what's the bit out of Birmingham actually like?:whistle:

Would you try it in the dark?

mistral

Guru
I did it in September - written up in a previous post - see below. I grew up in Compton, my Mum still lives there, so I took the canal route on a recent visit.

It was around 3pm when I got on the towpath, it was a glorious day, so the path was dry most of the way, though could be slippy under foot/tyre in the wet. I imagine it could be a bit tricky if you came across the wrong types along the way, with no real escape route! Even though it was end of school time didn't encounter many shcool kids hanging which surprised me.

Some of the small bridges were steep and unevenly paved as the path under some of the lower bridges, so in the dark would need to be taken carfully, good lights a must I'd have thought.

You could give it a go and see if any other cyclsits do it regularly, strength in numbers kind of thing?

....within a mile or so from Moore Street Station I was on the canal towpath (Birmingham Navigation Main Line). I rode to Wolverhampton where I joined the Staffordshire & Worcester Canal for the 3 miles or so to my Mums house.

Although being bought up in the area I’d not done the canal all the way before. My Marathon 25’s coped well, despite some pretty rough patches and dodgy surfaces, lots of cobbled/brick sections. Coseley tunnel was an experience, nearly 400m in near darkness. Despite the gloriously sunny day I passed very few Black Country folk on the way. Cutting through the urban mayhem, just a few steps away, the 17 odd miles of near deserted waterway, much of it relatively quiet and is an untapped haven, full of wildlife, I spotted several herons and even a kingfisher darting around.

Highly recommended if you get the chance

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Note I'm more towards the M54

So am I. I commute from M54 to south of Wolverhampton via A449, city centre and A4123, sometimes mixing it up using different routes,ie Tettenhall, Wednesfield etc. Don't have any problems really but then again at 6 a.m., that's reasonable. I have done Wolverhamnpton to Netherton via the A4123 Bham New Road in rush hour a couple of times and that is one scarey and unpleasant experience.

In regard to canal routes, too dark and scarey for me I'm afraid.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Without wishing to offend anyone, what's the bit out of Birmingham actually like?:whistle:

Would you try it in the dark?

It's alright. Leave from Brindley Place by the NIA, you're pretty quickly into industrial land. Around Smethwick the path turns to a dusty brown stone covering, reckon that would be pretty bad in the wet. Gets pretty lonely after that, not sure it would be great in the dark.

I only ever cycle to Wolves up the Penn Road and that's not great, can't imagine any of the main arterials are much better.

OP
OP
ushills

ushills

Veteran
I though that it might be dark and scary and the A4123 into Birmingham is a complete no go for me as it is scary enough in a car.

Might save it for a sunny day but I don't think a daily commute is worth the risk

FWIW the canal by Oxley is bad enough with it's high embankments and I encounted some youths on motorbikes as few years back, I hoped that the main-route as it's part of the NCN it would get more use but apparently not.

Looks like I'm sticking to the car & train.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I sometimes use the canal to get from Birmingham to Stourbridge. I turn off left to go through the Netherton tunnel but you could carry straight on to Wolves, nice ride.

That's a fun tunnel isn't it? First time I went down there I thought it would never end....

OP, the canal paths will be deep in puddles and mud this time of year, so unless you want to get seriously dirty, go by road.

Top Bottom