Wolves' 1960 FA Cup victory Viking cycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

handbar

Hello. I have just found this site. Being from Wolverhampton I am researching the many cycle makers over the years in the town. My first grown up cycle in the 60's was a Wearwell and I rode it at every opportunity. My question is, does anyone know anything about the limited edition gold cycle made by Viking to celebrate the 1960 F A Cup victory. Any information would be interesting such as how many were made or cost etc? I am unable to cycle any more so am enjoying finding out more about the history.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @handbar to the forum
Wolverhampton has been the home of some nice made bikes over the years .
1960's is prior to me being born so can't add any info on the FA cup bike so good luck in your search

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m sure you’ve searched the internet as have I and can’t find any reference to this model. There’s a advertisement on eBay dated 1960 wishing the club well in the coming season but no mention of the gold edition you describe.
Seems very odd, there must be a least a few bikes left and being a special edition you might have thought they’d promoted it. Wish you well trying to find out more.

OP
OP
H

handbar

This is the image that sparked my interest. It is in a local transport museum. I have Googled and checked Ebay. Any information that can be found from the image would be helpful.

1654362689253.png

OP
OP
H

handbar

The kit on the bike is after the 60's. Is it meant to be original?

The bike has been given to someone local to Wolverhampton who knows nothing about it and asked for my help. I cannot help so reached out hoping to find someone who knew about it. I would appreciate any information even if it does not support the little that is known.

midlife

Guru
Looking at the frame design, particularly the fork rake, I think it's after 1960 and is a gold one of these with a few bits changed. Superstar from the 70's or maybe just into the 80's.

Vintage-Viking-Superstar-Men-Racer-Road-Bike.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The best evidence might be the bike itself. Any decals? It would appear it’s rather later than 60’s. It might indeed be a special edition but there doesn’t appear to be much evidence to support the theory that it was produced to celebrate the club’s win.
The next step would be to inspect the bike and read the frame # on the bottom bracket, this should give you a date.

Some years ago I did some research into a cycle maker from Bath . About 12 miles away from me . I went to the city records office to look up any information about the cycle maker. They found a newspaper article about the owner on his retirement back in 1972.
You could try that method to see if they have any information other than what the museum has . You could also try your library and look at the old local newspapers . They should have them all stored on film .

OP
OP
H

handbar

A big thank you to everyone for their input. Message from the person I was trying to help. "We now believe it to be a Viking Gold c.1970 and therefore a Londonderry-built bike, with no connection to the Wolves" Hopefully that makes sense.

Top Bottom