Women's Road Bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

Since going off to university and meeting a couple of friends who cycle a fair bit, my daughter has decided she wants to get more involved. She has her cheap mountain bike at uni with her as a get around hack, but wants to start road cycling more seriously.

She has access to her brothers old Carrera TDF, which is a 54cm frame. She is 170cm tall and the Carrera appears to be perhaps at the higher end of ideal for size. I think a 52 or 53cm might be slightly better for her. She also struggles to operate the brakes with total confidence due to the lever reach. My son removed the rubber reach adjuster shims on the levers and lost them, but I'm not entirely sure the few mm's of difference they would make would be enough anyway. Perhaps my daughter just has smaller than average hands, but I'd really like to find an adjustment or a lever that is more suited to her.

She is also looking around at new entry level women's specific bikes, with a maximum budget of about £700.00. Admittedly,I am somewhat ignorant of the technicalities of women's bikes, so is it just the frame geometry etc that is designed more for a female, or do some come with shorter reach levers etc. Obviously, we would prefer not to buy a new bike and find the lever reach is still a major issue.

My daughter has picked out a couple of bikes she likes, one Scott and a Fuji. The Scott Contessa Speedster 45 is within budget but at £650 I would perhaps expect to see a better groupset than 8 speed Claris. The Fuji is around £450 and to be honest, has a spec to suit that price bracket.

I have spotted an Avanti Giro 2 Women's 2016 on Wiggle, which is currently available in the right size at £504.00 (reduced from £749.00 I think). It has the upgraded Tiagra 10 speed group, and standard issue aluminium frame, carbon fork combo. Looks a decent enough bike to me, and better value than the Scott.

If there is anyone out there who can give us some advice on the adjustability or componentry choices or even complete bike recommendations within the £700-ish budget for ladies (especially where brake/gear levers are concerned) I would be most grateful. Thank you.

spiderman2

Über Member

steve50

Disenchanted Member
How about letting your daughter try out a few bikes to see which of them "fit her" the best, its not just about price it's about how the bike fits the rider, how comfortable they are going to be over a reasonable distance (within your budget) etc.

Reactions: srw

Julia9054

Guru
Brakes and lever reach seem to be a problem for a lot of women (me included). There is a small element of just getting used to it, but one tip I found helpful was to rotate the handlebars slightly upwards to help with reach.
Don't be stuck to the idea of women's bikes only. I think many of them are designed with the idea that females tend to have longer legs and a shorter reach but that is very much dependent on the individual. Best thing to do is to sit on a few. My road bike is a women's frame but when I came to buy a gravel bike 18 months ago, there was so little choice, I ended up with a men's bike. I can't tell the difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano Sora seem to be the smallest reach levers. Small-drop and narrow bars may help a bit.
A friend of mine had to have cross brakes fitted on her Synapse with Sora as she couldn't confidently reach the brakes

I can only brake confidently on SRAM due to hood shape, and even then I have cross brake levers on my 'tourer'. And I am by no means petite. My frames are all men's but I'm 5'10, I do have to have a narrower bar and shorter stem than would be fitted on a stock men's frame of the size I ride (54cm)

Perhaps Look at the Planet X rt58 which comes with SRAM and some degree of adjustability in terms of bars, stem, saddle

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALUAPEX/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-apex-road-bike
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALRIV22/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-rival-11-road-bike

I do think the rival is worth the extra over Apex but Apex works well enough (is Tiagra equivalent)

To the OP, your daughter needs to try and decide for herself. Can she get to an Evans for some test rides?

Pauls have some deals but more on bigger frames, she may not be tall enough at 5'7? http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s134p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Bikes-Women-Specific

Last edited:
Top Bottom