Wonky wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I have a cannondale synapse with those ultra carbon forks, and I noticed the other day when putting new tyres on that the front wheel wasn't straight in the forks, it's sitting about two to three mm closer to the non drive side fork arm, I.e. it is out vertically as it were.

I have:
Cleaned the drop outs,
Seated and re seated the wheel,
Put the wheel in the other way round - still out.
Stripped and rebuilt hub.
Put new posh tart wheels on - still out.

It looks like the forks are out slightly, and in all likelihood have probably been since I bought the bike, as I don't think carbon bends (I hope) and there are no signs of cracking etc... Doesn't effect the ride, the bike isn't on the crab etc...

My questions are - how common is this from manufacture? Will it effect the hubs on my new posh tart wheels? And could I not just fit a metal shim or rubber shim over the axle to correct it?

Cheers in advance for the help people!!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If the bike is still within warranty period I would take it back.

gwhite

Über Member
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does happen from time to time that the drop-outs are misaligned and need filing to bring them in line. The bike shop should have a tool to check this.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does happen from time to time that the drop-outs are misaligned and need filing to bring them in line. The bike shop should have a tool to check this.

Just got back from the not so local bike shop that I got her from, and that is just what they did.

Think the drop outs were about 0.7 mm out, equated to about three to four mm out at the top of the wheel.

Still, had a nice drive to Wales from it...

Top Bottom