wooden soffit boads on new-build houses. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
With the overhanging tile/slates and sarking felt draining into the gutter the fascias shouldn't actually get wet at all so providing they haven't used 'green' unseasoned sappy softwood it should last for years.

Maz, timber that looks unfinished may have been painted with a clear microporous stain which wouldn't be obvious.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Maybe it wasnt wood it might have been fake plastic wood.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Interesting, I didn't realise that treated would wood have such longevity. Thanks for the replies.

PBancroft

Dunno about 'rot soon'.
This house is 15 years old now, still with original painted wooden soffits. Though they are looking shabby and need stripping back and repainting, or more likely uPVC

Our house is nearly 30 years old, and still has the original soffits. We repainted them last year and they're still fine. Some of the houses nearby haven't treated theirs and they look a bit shabby. Some of the houses have replaced theirs with cheap uPVC and they fell apart within a few years. A few others have replaced with decent uPVC and they look weird next to the original wood (terraced housing).

I'll stick with the wood I think.

Our house is nearly 30 years old, and still has the original soffits. We repainted them last year and they're still fine. Some of the houses nearby haven't treated theirs and they look a bit shabby. Some of the houses have replaced theirs with cheap uPVC and they fell apart within a few years. A few others have replaced with decent uPVC and they look weird next to the original wood (terraced housing).

I'll stick with the wood I think.

Hmmm.....
I suppose the answer for me is actually get up there and have a closer look to see what the state of the wood is before committing to anything.
Have to get a ladder first though.

U

User482

Maz, timber that looks unfinished may have been painted with a clear microporous stain which wouldn't be obvious.

Yep, we had some oak French doors fitted last year, which I treated with clear Osmo oil. The idea is that the wood breathes rather than trapping moisture under the paint, and I think oak looks best unstained.

Top Bottom