Working on a grand tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Just got back from watching the mountain TT and the final stage of the Giro in Brescia last week and being around at the time all of the set up (barriers, media etc) was going on, and now I'm interested in getting involved with one day. It seems like it would be immensely hard work but enjoyable at the same time. Wondering if anyone on here has been involved, or knows someone that has or has any idea how to get work like that. There is a section on the ASO website which looks geared towards finding people for the tour, the logistics of the entire operation are fairly mind boggling. We even got a short hitch with one of the timing guys in his official Skoda up the the ski resort at Polsa but my Italian wasn't good enough to ask these kind of questions.

P1030457.JPG

580367_10152841193110431_1365886082_n.jpg

972219_10152841192890431_1929995861_n.jpg

festival

Über Member
These kind of jobs are usually available through knowing someone already on the inside.

boybiker

Guru
I worked as a motorsport engineer for two years which I would imagine is roughly the same kind of thing. Long hours , time away, holiday restrictions, crap money but AMAZING experiences. Just keep going to events and speaking to people put yourself out there. That's how you get into motorsport without someone on the inside.

oldroadman

Veteran
Ever seen barrier crews working through the night, driving all day, short of sleep? Enormous fun!
Most of the workers on the GTs don't get to see any bike racing, or anywhere near teams/riders, they just flog themselves for 3 weeks, and often stop in less than wonderful hotels. Even rest days = big transfers.
If you are not a rider, DS, official, best to follow and watch at your own schedule.

oldroadman

Veteran
Good luck then, and go for it, at least if you do manage to get into a stage race as a worker you will have had the experience. Start by asking around some of the .1 or HC races on the UCI calendar, that would be an experience which might decide whether you want to do three weeks. One week is enough for most people.

Reactions: iLB

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great vid Andy. Makes me wish I was young again^_^

Reactions: iLB
Top Bottom