Working to %HR in Garmin Edge 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pathfoot

Regular
Hello,

Recently returning to cycling after a long absence, I've been using the Garmin Edge 500 to record my activities, and to give me an indication of how I'm responding in heart rate and the like. I know these things are not an exact science, rather rules of thumb, but I've been looking at the %heart rate parameter, as a guide to not overdoing the effort.

I know my normal resting heart rate, and for my age the maximum heart rate.

The question I have is this. As I take (prescribed) beta-blockers, these have an effect of lowering my heart rate by around 20 bpm, give or take a few, so : How should I set my resting/max heart rates on the Edge 500? Should I enter resting rate under medication and scale down the maximum rate by the same proportion as the medication brings down the resting rate?

I'd be interested in any pointers, or experiences others have who take beta-blockers.

Citius

It is essential, in my view, that you establish your true max HR number - as opposed to your theoretical max, before doing anything else. Especially if you are on heart meds.

Theoretical HR numbers can be 15-20 higher/lower than your true number. You should get some medical advice first.

OP
OP
Pathfoot

Pathfoot

Regular
Thank you for the response. I will be discussing with my GP on the next visit, of course. (The beta-blocker isn't prescribed for any heart condition, but for its property of reducing the frequency of visual auras associated with migraines, if that's significant.)

Citius

ok - if it's not HR related then I guess there's less of a risk. However, it is still worth taking the time to establish your true max HR - or alternatively, your lactate threshold HR (LTHR) - worth checking that out for more info, as the process for establishing LTHR is not quite as demanding as MHR.

Under the circumstances, you could just take the highest you've seen and use it, adjusting with trial and error according to a build up of history on regular routes and equating it to perceived effort. It all sounds a bit fudgy but if you are using an hrm for general tracking of fitness increases and effort it will work. Unless you are training seriously I'm not sure you need to definitely know your max hr or lactate threshold. You can still tell an awful lot without knowing your max hr. Recovery rate, hr readings over time on certain routes, climbs sections etc.. all build a picture and, most importantly, an hr ramp test hurts :smile:

OP
OP
Pathfoot

Pathfoot

Regular
That's pretty much it. I'm looking for general tracking of fitness, and to make sure I don't overdo things. I'm glad of the advice I've had so far! I walk a lot, and only recently acquired a cycle, after too many years off the road (except with an engine). I got the cycle for short trips, light shopping journeys, but once I was in the saddle, the old bug came back and bit me. Most noticeable immediate effect (apart from hurting in places a bloke forgot he could hurt in) has been a lowering of my blood pressure, meaning I may have to ease off on the BP meds. Which can't be a bad thing!

That's pretty much it. I'm looking for general tracking of fitness, and to make sure I don't overdo things. I'm glad of the advice I've had so far! I walk a lot, and only recently acquired a cycle, after too many years off the road (except with an engine). I got the cycle for short trips, light shopping journeys, but once I was in the saddle, the old bug came back and bit me. Most noticeable immediate effect (apart from hurting in places a bloke forgot he could hurt in) has been a lowering of my blood pressure, meaning I may have to ease off on the BP meds. Which can't be a bad thing!
It's quite astonishing what exercise can do for blood pressure.

I would just estimate your zones for the purpose of measuring relative progress. So over a particular ride you can see how much time you're spending in each zone and watch as time in higher zones goes down. Of course your zones might not be accurate and as i say, you might need to adjust things as you go but it'll be fine for a relative measure of fitness. Other things you can often see with an HR monitor is things like tiredness or illness. You might find one day that you feel a little tired and see that your HR is running below what you'd normally see, which is a good indication that you are tired and don't just feel it. If it's running higher than you'd expect, you might have a virus. Resting HR is a great measure of fitness and recovery Hr too. It can be a useful tool which confirms perceived effort and it can help you measure your pace by staying below a certain HR.

Good luck.

RitchieJoe

I can't really advise you on the best way to determine your heart rate just share my experience. I was taking beta blockers for anxiety and somatic symptoms not too dissimilar to migraines/aura's etc when I started running. Now this may seem obvious but once I managed to get my heart rate up I began to experience severe pain in my chest, this stopped once I discontinued the beta blockers for a couple of days to ascertain whether or not they were the culprit.... they were. I think what was actually happening was a power struggle between my heart/body trying very hard to get my HR up and atenolol trying to keep it down. So I ditched the beta blockers ( I am in no way advocating you do the same) and just kept running as fast and far as I could and I don't get migraines, tremors or anything anymore.

But consult your doctor on the matter, they will are in a better position to advise.

Top Bottom