Worn chain/chainwheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now for a game of lethal frisbee!

The mother of all ninja death stars....

I've got a new "used" bike on the stand and the chain won't sit correctly on the chain wheel, as seen below:

View attachment 648084

You will not be surprised to know the chain is very worn; the rear mech is also very erratic. I'm guessing the chainwheel is worn beyond usefulness, and that being the case, the bike has lots of other problems so we'll probably strip it down for parts.

However, I'm aware I may be missing something:: does anyone else have an alternative idea of the cause, and a possible solution.

View attachment 648085

Ah! You need to grind away the middle 2 teeth in every 4 on the chain ring . Having fewer teeth will allow the chain to engage the remaining teeth better ! :whistle:

Chislenko

Veteran
More experienced workshops talk about an approximate 3:1 ratio: three incoming bikes can be cannibalised to make one good'un.

Warning: Thread Deviation!!

Andy in Germany, what part of Germany are you and have you ever been to Usedom Island.

Have been watching the series Nordic Murders and am getting a strong desire to visit this place on a future holiday.

Warning: Thread Deviation!!

Andy in Germany, what part of Germany are you and have you ever been to Usedom Island.

Have been watching the series Nordic Murders and am getting a strong desire to visit this place on a future holiday.

Probably as far away as possible without being in Bavaria, I'm afraid: I'm in a rather beautiful cycling paradise known as the Breisgau, in the corner between France and Switzerland.

Chislenko

Veteran
Probably as far away as possible without being in Bavaria, I'm afraid: I'm in a rather beautiful cycling paradise known as the Breisgau, in the corner between France and Switzerland.

Thanks Andy, will probably have passed close to where you are on one of our trips down France then across to Lake Konstanz where Mrs. C's cousin lives

Top Bottom