Worth buying wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobyM

I have found a complete frame on ebay, with (apparently) every part except wheels. Currently, it's on £50 and I'd be willing to pay up to £60 for it. It's a Carrera Valour (not a brilliant bike, but I'm on a budget - plus it has STI shifters) and I was wondering if it would be worth buying this and finding it some wheels? If I could find some wheels for about £50 that brings it quite close to my £100 budget! Then I could pick up some tyres and tubes for £50 or so and I've got a bike that's worth.. £150. Total spent, £150, which should mean I don't lose out, and I've got some reasonable tyres and sound wheels.

What do you all think?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Is the size right? Could you try before you bid/buy? If it's the wrong size, it'll be uncomfortable. A little tweaking can help (seatpost, stem), but can only compensate so much.

I have found a complete frame on ebay, with (apparently) every part except wheels. Currently, it's on £50 and I'd be willing to pay up to £60 for it. It's a Carrera Valour (not a brilliant bike, but I'm on a budget - plus it has STI shifters) and I was wondering if it would be worth buying this and finding it some wheels? If I could find some wheels for about £50 that brings it quite close to my £100 budget! Then I could pick up some tyres and tubes for £50 or so and I've got a bike that's worth.. £150. Total spent, £150, which should mean I don't lose out, and I've got some reasonable tyres and sound wheels.

What do you all think?

Think you might have forgotten to cost in the rear cassette and chain which will cost you another £30

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Is the size right? Could you try before you bid/buy? If it's the wrong size, it'll be uncomfortable. A little tweaking can help (seatpost, stem), but can only compensate so much.
It's the right size, according to the listing details. I might give this one a miss though, I can't try it out and the description is too vague for my liking!

Think you might have forgotten to cost in the rear cassette and chain which will cost you another £30
It does have a chain, but I have indeed forgotten about a rear cassette. I think I'll wait for something else to come along!

Top Bottom