worth changing my brake cables?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jebb

Regular
Just changing my brake pads, so just wondering if it's worth changing my brake cables too, my bike is around 5 years old never had them changed, not sure how I would know then they do need changing?

The bike is a GT MBT with hayes mechanical brakes.

Reactions: _aD

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If the cables are frayed, rusted, bent, damaged in any way, change.
If brake leavers don't return smoothly, cable inside may be corroded or dirty: try first squirting some GT85 or similar in the plastic outers - sometimes this works.
If nothing is amiss don't change. They don't have a best before date :smile:

jack smith

Veteran
Nah if they are working fine just leave them alone, as above if they are fraying or have something visually or physically wrong replace them :smile:

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
If they're five years old then buy two complete sets and keep one in your toolpack so you'll never be left short. Whilst you're buying spares, get spare gear cable too. It's not fun riding home on the Winching Ring. You can't see fraying if it's inside the sheaths!

Last summer my front brake cable snapped whilst going downhill with panniers and tent in tow. It had snapped near the middle and looked completely fine at both ends. I plan on replacing all the cables every three/four years now.

Supersedona

Regular
Good Idea to take it out and inspect and clean the cable every now and then. If there is a moisture buildup that causes corrosion it will expand the cable stranding and make drag before it gets to the fatigue point of snapping. All of which are visible on a preemptive maintenance check.

Reactions: _aD
Top Bottom