Worth putting palm trees in bigger planter or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Both are nearly 6 years old. The taller one looks a bit tatty but still healthy. The smaller/lower one has gone brown before and made a recovery, but it hasn't been as brown as that. The taller one would do much better in a much bigger planter, in my opinion. Maybe it's too late for the shorter one? I've seen some 66cm plastic planters for sale. Looking at them compared to what they're in now, I'd say the 66cm planters are about 3 times the capacity of their current planters. If I do decided to have them re-potted I won't be able to do it myself, so I'll have to pay somebody to do it for me. In short, will both or maybe just the healthier one do much better in a much bigger planter and how much would I be expected to pay someone to do it for me? 🤔

nc_ohc=HHwUN0o6qU4AX-t4r5v&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=lJcJrb5HVPMAX-FUiYz&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=V6pfgVyMcksAX8ZN0WY&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

The not too healthy looking one.

nc_ohc=XkOkucDDxWQAX9zt7Ab&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=jDHvffDDLjwAX-lBIiV&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
I’d certainly put the bigger one in a larger pot.
Also try the smaller one in a new pot with fresh compost. One of my smaller palms looked a gonner but cut all the fonds off and re planted and it sprung back to life. 😀
Water as needed and they do like palm feed.
All is not lost, good luck.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I’d certainly put the bigger one in a larger pot.
Also try the smaller one in a new pot with fresh compost. One of my smaller palms looked a gonner but cut all the fonds off and re planted and it sprung back to life. 😀
Water as needed and they do like palm feed.
All is not lost, good luck.

I'd prefer to have them planted in the ground, but maybe the housing association wouldn't be too happy. They probably wouldn't know if I did, but no doubt one or two of the moaners in these flats would contact them and then the H/A would act. Ut's certainly be easier and probably cheaper to pay someone to dig a couple of holes, rather than have to buy loads of compost etc. I reckon if they were in the actual ground they'd both do well and be able to grow much bigger!

Mrs M

Guru
I'd prefer to have them planted in the ground, but maybe the housing association wouldn't be too happy. They probably wouldn't know if I did, but no doubt one or two of the moaners in these flats would contact them and then the H/A would act. Ut's certainly be easier and probably cheaper to pay someone to dig a couple of holes, rather than have to buy loads of compost etc. I reckon if they were in the actual ground they'd both do well and be able to grow much bigger!

I have one in the ground, other 3 in pots.
No difference so far.
Just try to find the spot they like best, wind and over watering can brown the fonds.
Move mine around to see their favourite place.
Just move them into bigger pots as they grow.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Several points to consider. At this size, anything above 1 litre, pot size is measured in volume, you will find this stamped on the base of the pot. If you tilt the pots over the details should be easily visible. This will help you understand how big a jump to make in pot size, I'd suggest at least doubling the volume, though it's difficult to tell from an image. You can also check by measuring diameter and height but this can be deceptive if the pots you are comparing have different profiles. I agree the smaller one can probably move in to the bigger.

Has the damage suddenly appeared this winter or has it been building up over a long period? My reason for asking is the last six months have seen unusual weather conditions, the result all over Lancashire, especially on the Fylde, is literally hundreds of dead Cordylines and to a lesser extent Phormiums. I appreciate these are palms but it could be the cause. The Cordyline I've seen are very mature plants, which we have come to consider hardy, that have suddenly succumbed to the weather. We had an unusually long, warm autumn and extended growing season, when temperatures changed quickly soft growth on these plants wasn't hardened off and sustained a lot of damage with far, far more death than I've ever seen. As one singe example I had a 15 year old Cordyline growing in container in the backyard, protected by walls on four sides, it's dead. Same in my garden, Phormiums which have been happy for years are dead.

Assuming cold isn't the problem I would suggest you have four issues to consider, overwatering (rain), lack of feed, frozen root system and after six years in these containers the plants are probably completely pot bound. Your first step should be to establish if the root system is still healthy, light brown to yellow and they are happy, mushy in appearance and touch and they're dead.

If you do repot go for a John Innes No. 3 compost or similar and pots with plenty of drainage. It would be worth drilling extra holes in the base and if you can raise the pot slightly off the ground. I'd reckon on a couple of hours to do the job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom