Worth repairing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Why bikes are automatically terrible if they have a few kgs extra compared to another model.

Bikes are not terrible because they weigh a few kgs more than the lightest, but a very cheap bike will have very cheap bearings, saddle, chain,pedals and wheels etc and for this reason even if it seems ok it just wont last and will require constant work and parts, might be ok as a hack but little use for a cyclist.

Why bikes are automatically terrible if they have a few kgs extra compared to another model.

Bikes are not terrible because they weigh a few kgs more than the lightest, but a very cheap bike will have very cheap bearings, saddle, chain,pedals and wheels etc and for this reason even if it seems ok it just wont last and will require constant work and parts, might be ok as a hack but little use for a cyclist.

Cheap high tensile steel bikes are the workhorse bikes of the world across Africa, South America, Asia etc, bikes like the Buffalo bikes. 26" wheels even single rim are strong wheels especially with a high spoke count. High tensile steel frames and forks will rarely fail even if they have surface corrosion. A 6 or 7 speed chain is a much stronger chain than 9,10,11 or 12 speed because the chain is much thicker. Steel cogs and chainrings are very hardwearing. It's pretty easy to index a 6 or 7 speed freewheel as the tolerances are so wide.

There are lots of positives about cheap bikes with regard strength. Yes in the detail you can get some poor components but I wouldn't necessarily say cheap pedals or saddles are bad.

There are huge amount of compromises made to bikes to make them lightweight, weaker frames, weaker wheels, weaker components in general and safety is often compromised to achieve performance.

Should also be pointed out the efficiency of making such bikes is incredible. Many high tensile steel frames are made in seconds by welding robots. A high tensile steel frame made by fuji-ta about 3 or 4 years ago was only about $4-5 factory door price so efficient to make and fully recyclable. Also steel is the most consistent quality of any frame material. Steel frame production has evolved over a 100 years.

Bikes are sold as working machines in Africa and many other countries, something to take abuse and be worked hard but in western Europe it seems they are sold more as a lifestyle choice or fashion accessory.

Once properly serviced and adjusted these should be very reliable and dependable bikes in my opinion even if they do feel a little bit more sluggish to ride.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMY8NeRFHFU

My personal definition of a BSO is any bike that is not being ridden on a regular basis. The OP's bike looks basic and sturdy - something that a little TLC would work wonders on. Appreciate that not all have the time/patience/skills to carry out what's needed.
Flick a coin: heads - do the work needed, tails - give to charity shop :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

The amount of miles I've personally put on old low end bikes like Halfords Apollos, that have probably already gone through multiple owners before me, and I have never had to replace anything much on apart from worn tyres and the odd cheapo resin pedal, doesn't bear this out. My hack bikes are also probably subjected to harder use with me weighing 200 lbs and riding on all sorts of poor surfaces, than a 150 lb roadie who only ever rides on smooth tarmac and in nice conditions. It's the roadies you will find constantly fretting about their chain and cassette wear though; the people like me with the hack bikes don't even bother to check chain wear we just ride the things year after year as they are.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Still stick to my opinion on really cheap bikes and cheap bike parts, to give just 3 examples first bought a new Cannondale online a few years ago it came with maddux wheels, a club member said to me to change the wheels asap.
My view has been its not broken dont change or fix it, much to my horror the rear wheel just kept breaking spokes the first few times i thought just bad tension etc but after a few ruined cycles ended up just scraping them.
Second (could tell you many experiences with poor quality parts both expensive and cheap) i was given a load of non branded bike chains and again waste not want not policy of mine failed me, Used a few and scraped all the rest because they may have been ok for a bike used for shopping but none of the chains i used lasted more than 2 weeks before running round the back cassette and giving me quite a scare ended up replacing a few cassettes on different bikes as i believe the cheap chains destroyed them.
Know every one has there own view but i wont use cheap tyres as again, they may be ok for a hack or low millage bike but for a cyclist cycling a few hundred miles a week and running the risk of punctures maybe 50 miles from home perhaps holding up club runs and perhaps having to borrow tubes etc.
Every one to there own view, but for me i like parts that last and wont let me down.

Chislenko

Veteran
Depends on how far she is going to ride really.

My wife has a 15 year old BSO which fits all the descriptions previously raised, heavy, cheap components etc.

When I go running she comes along on her bike so it is adequate for it's purpose.

If she is only going to potter around then it will do a job.

NB. On a personal note though I really don't like twist grip.

Top Bottom