Worth reporting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Dear Sir/Madam,

At about 7:30 this morning (Thursday 29th July) I was cycling along the A70 Lanark Road in the direction of Balerno, when a refuse collection lorry came up behind me. The driver of this vehicle appreached me extremely closely - I can only describe his behaviour as tailgating - and then passed rather closely, such that I braked in order to avoid the rear of the vehicle. About 10 -15 minutes later, as I continued my journey, I came across this lorry again, as I had now stopped and was carrying out its refuse collection duties. I decided to stop and speak to the driver, as I was very unhappy about the way I had been tailgated - I would have been unhappy to have a large lorry that close behind me if I had been driving a car, let alone when riding a bicycle. The driver informed me that I should have "got out of the way" and was dismissive of my concerns, so I did not prolong the conversation. The registration number of the lorry was VA07 NLL.

I was most unhappy about the attitude of the driver to a vulnerable road user. I hope you will make it clear to all drivers of such vehicles that this is not acceptable.

Yours
XXXXXXX

----------------------------
I have not sent this email yet.

This is the first time I've seriously considered making a complaint like this - do you this it is a serious enough incident to be worth the hassle? I probably would have bothered if I hadn't caught the lorry up again because I didn't get the registration number first time round. I'm assuming there will be some contact form on the council website - I haven't looked yet!

I'm also not happy about the last sentence - I just want to complain, I'm not sure what outcome I want. All thoughts on this (and the general content of the email) welcome.

mark barker

You've got nothing to lose by dropping them a line, and theres a possibility that it might make a difference (unlikely, but you never know).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You need to change the line:
I came across this lorry again, as I had now stopped and was carrying out its refuse collection duties

They might be pleased you were doing their work
thumbsup.png
biggrin.gif

snorri

Legendary Member
. I hope you will make it clear to all drivers of such vehicles that this is not acceptable.

Your complaint should be directed to the driver of the vehicle and not refuse lorry drivers in general. Also, try to condense your letter, just explaining the essentials. It's a pity you cannot name the company or authority who own the vehicle, these people usually do not like their names to be dragged in the mud.:smile:

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Your complaint should be directed to the driver of the vehicle and not refuse lorry drivers in general. Also, try to condense your letter, just explaining the essentials. It's a pity you cannot name the company or authority who own the vehicle, these people usually do not like their names to be dragged in the mud.:smile:

Oh, it was an Edinburgh City Council vehicle - although there weren't any logos on it, so I suppose it might have been hired from somewhere.

I take the point that I've got nothing to loose by complaining.

Top Bottom