Worth some upgrades?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

Hiya to one and all.

Having dropped a hello thread on the welcome mat I thought I'd pile in with a question / opinions thread.

I bought my first road bike, a Trek 1.2, last year. I'm loving it but I do suffer frequently from shiny shiny syndrome... and right now I'm feeling the need. :biggrin:

What I can't decide is whether the bike justifies some upgrades in terms of wheels / componetry or whether I'd be better off riding out this year on the Trek and putting the dosh aside for a new bike altogether later in the year / early next year.

Any thoughts?

On a side note, I've got a thought in my head that were I to upgrade the Trek a little, then wheels would be as good as any place to start.

Any recommendations for a set on a budget of around £200? Bearing in mind they'd need to be reasonably strong as I'm 14 stone and addicted to biscuits.

Cheers

Paddy

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Trek 1.2 as a winter road bike with mudguards. Since I only paid £400 new for it I would be reluctant to pay £200 for better wheels. I weigh pretty much the same as you and the wheels are dead straight after 1000 miles. The whole thing is excellent and really not much different from my fancy summer bike with Ultgegra kit and nice wheels.

The only bit that is not as good is the brakes. I have changed the pads and cleaned the wheels which helps a bit, but they are not fantastic. So I am thinking of changing those, but that's it

J

jay clock

Massive member
just to add, that as it is a good basic roadbike with room for mudguards it would be ideal to keep for second best/winter if you can afford the money and space for a "best" bike at a later date

Top Bottom