Worth spending on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toptec

Ok, had this for a while now & just pulled it from the back of the shed. My question is this it requires some money spending on it, but is it worth it.
Klein Mantra Comp;
Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Easton EA50
Bars: Bontrager Crowbar race
Seat Post: Thomson Elite
Rear shock: Fox Vanilla Float R
Forks: Mainitou SX
Crank: Deore LX
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech: XTR
Shifters: SRAM Rockets
Brakes: Avid Levers / XTR Vees Front & Rear
Overall in good nick, no play in Centre bearing pivot that I can see,no cracks in the frame either. Now I know this is old technology & a bit of a Marmite bike. Things that need replacing are a new wheelset & new bottom bracket (crank set). Not sure how much these two items would cost (self fitting) or would they outweigh the worth of the bike?
Any advice would be most welcome
Atb
Steve
thumb_P1040876_1024.jpg

OP
OP
T

Toptec

If I've posted this in the wrong section maybe the Mods could move it please?

Drago

Legendary Member
Hatefull things to ride by modern standards. The suspension didn't work properly unless you're stood on the pedals with your butt out the seat, and even then its cruder than Bernard Manning on a stag night. Were it mine I'd be reluctant to spend any real money on one.

But there is good news! Genuine Klein's have a rabid following among those who couldn't afford them when they were kids back in the day, and original machines in good nick can go for a pretty penny. Slap an ad up on Retrobikes and you'll get decent money for it, enough to buy something more modern, capable and usable for sure.

Top Bottom