Worth upgrading??????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

Does Sora or Tiagra offer a real material step up from the basic Shimano 2300 groupset? And is 105 in turn a substantial step up again?

I ask as I'm flirting with the idea using the company C2W scheme (via Halfords) to sneak another bike into the shed! I got an Specialized Allez (basic triple model) through the scheme a couple of years back and really like it but thought of getting something with a better spec and keeping the Allez for winter use and slinging on the car to take on hols etc.

However, now I've started looking into it, I'm struggling with options within the £1k limit that offer a really material upgrade to what I already have. The lesson is I should've used the max limit last time round!!

The stand out option seems a Boardman. The carbon model is now beyond the £1k limit but the Team model looks relatively good value at £999 with 105 groupset etc.

Specialized options, given I like my current Allez frame, include the Secteur Sport (Sora) or Elite (Tiagra) which come in at £800 and £1k respectively (although I really don't like the colour sheme on the 2012 Elite model). The Allez Elite at £900 also has Tiagra.

Any experience/views on these and any ideas for bargains at £1k or less?

Many thanks

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Does Sora or Tiagra offer a real material step up from the basic Shimano 2300 groupset? And is 105 in turn a substantial step up again?

I ask as I'm flirting with the idea using the company C2W scheme (via Halfords) to sneak another bike into the shed! I got an Specialized Allez (basic triple model) through the scheme a couple of years back and really like it but thought of getting something with a better spec and keeping the Allez for winter use and slinging on the car to take on hols etc.

However, now I've started looking into it, I'm struggling with options within the £1k limit that offer a really material upgrade to what I already have. The lesson is I should've used the max limit last time round!!

The stand out option seems a Boardman. The carbon model is now beyond the £1k limit but the Team model looks relatively good value at £999 with 105 groupset etc.

Specialized options, given I like my current Allez frame, include the Secteur Sport (Sora) or Elite (Tiagra) which come in at £800 and £1k respectively (although I really don't like the colour sheme on the 2012 Elite model). The Allez Elite at £900 also has Tiagra.

Many thanks

Trickydicky

Many thanks

HI,

Sorry as this may be a bit of a silly question, Do u have to use Halfords?

Yes the step up to 105 will make the biggest difference and this is one of the best groupsets for the money. It may also be worth looking at some SRAM kitted out bikes as the Apex group set in my Opinion is as good as the 105 if not better, and it may cause some good quality bikes to come into the correct range.

Thanks
TD

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

HI,

Sorry as this may be a bit of a silly question, Do u have to use Halfords?

Yes the step up to 105 will make the biggest difference and this is one of the best groupsets for the money. It may also be worth looking at some SRAM kitted out bikes as the Apex group set in my Opinion is as good as the 105 if not better, and it may cause some good quality bikes to come into the correct range.

Thanks
TD

Yeah, has to be sourced via Halfords as my company runs their Cycle to Work Scheme. Gave them a quick call and they can source the following emerging short list in that order of preference pending having a proper look or sit on them:

- Felt Z85 (pending Halfords confirming the 2012 price through their supplier in a couple of weeks)
- Boardman Team
- Cannondale CAAD8 105
- Spesh Secteur Elite

Like the look of the Felt so will try and find a stockist to have a look at one and it comes with 105 which would offer me a decent step-up. Just need to convince myself that I really need another bike!!

Top Bottom