Worthwhile upgrading brakes on new Defy 1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
I bought a new Defy 1 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it. However, coming for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, I've found the rim brakes on the Defy a bit...erm..weak. I realise this is only to be expected but wondered if I'd notice any improvement upgrading the tektro to 105 calipers (or even ultegra) or would this simply be relieving my slightly obsessive need to have a full 105 groupset?

young Ed

Veteran
I bought a new Defy 1 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it. However, coming for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, I've found the rim brakes on the Defy a bit...erm..weak. I realise this is only to be expected but wondered if I'd notice any improvement upgrading the tektro to 105 calipers (or even ultegra) or would this simply be relieving my slightly obsessive need to have a full 105 groupset?
don't bother just get on it and ride once those pads are worn out or something else in the brake department needs looking at then you may decide and do whatever seems best then
but for now :bicycle:
Cheers Ed

MikeW-71

Veteran
+1 change the pads first. The pads that came stock with my Defy 2 (tektro calipers) were poor, I just didn't realise how poor until I changed them for some Clarks CPS240's. They are much better, particularly in the wet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Start the 105 ball rolling brakes first then rear mech (when funds allow) and then just uprate as and when. Mind you I don't like the crank and intend swapping it for the ultegra triple I've got in the shed, unless that goes onto the Ridgeback first, discisions, discisions,

OP
OP
Mr_Grieve

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
Thanks all. I was thinking of trying new pads first. I suspect I'd not notice a huge difference in the calipers in terms of stopping power but the OCD part of me would be happier with all 105 components ^_^. Tbh the brakes aren't that bad but they were always going to suffer being compared to hydraulic discs and I'm not used to the brake levers position yet.

uclown2002

Guru
You need some 105 brakes for sure!

That has nothing to do with the fact I have a new, unused, pair going cheap in another section. ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I was thinking of trying new pads first. I suspect I'd not notice a huge difference in the calipers in terms of stopping power but the OCD part of me would be happier with all 105 components ^_^. Tbh the brakes aren't that bad but they were always going to suffer being compared to hydraulic discs and I'm not used to the brake levers position yet.
I'm pretty sure you will notice the difference unless the Tektro are also dual pivot. The 105s will be easier to set up plus you'll get new pads and whats wrong with a little OCD.

OP
OP
Mr_Grieve

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
Thanks @uclown2002 and @raleighnut these were the answers I wanted to hear. Now I know everyone else is probably right and I simply need to replace the pads but I'm sure new 105 calipers will make me feel sooo much better (even if I won't stop sooner).. And @uclown2002 conveniently has some new ones for sale (@uclown2002 you have a PM).

Top Bottom