Would a better cable do the trick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
At the moment I'm using Jagwire the basic inner and outer purchased from fleabay,around six months ago..
I'm having issues with the gears when I try and change into the smallest 3 sprockets it does change but is very sticky and more times than not I've to change back up and then try again..

Cleaned,adjusted and lubricated everything..Inspected the rear mech for damage and the hangar is straight as well..

My thoughts are to fit a better quality inner and outer cable to see if this will help..
Would like to know what other people opinion's are..

Citius

Sounds like your cable run is too tight somewhere along the line...

Here's how to check the cable for friction.

1) Loosen the cable anchor bolt at the jockey and take the cable end out from the bolt but don't take the cable housing out of its stop..
2) Pull on the cable and shift against yourself. Go all the way up and then pull nice and tight and shift down one click at a time.
3) The feel in the cable should be slick, quick and smooth.

I hope you changed both inner cable and housing when you started off.

Then, Jagwire is rubbish compared to genuine Shimano cable. Big difference. We used to roll an equal length of inner and outer around a pole a few times, one of each brand. Then "shift" the inner up and down. Big difference between brands. Don't assume Teflon, PTFE, gorilla snot and other coatings improve the cable. They don't.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Thank you for your time Yellow Saddle.
Tried the above the feel in the cable going up is slick but coming back down there is a different feel. Just for curiosity I fitted the old Shimano outer cable just on the back end and this felt slicker..
Trip down to my LBS tomorrow for a Shimano gear cable set..

P.S
I did originally fit inner and outer cables..
Thanks again.

Top Bottom