would i be able to....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliver

change my 9 speed tiagra cassette (11-25 ish) with this 9 speed diore one (11-32) ;)http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_Deore_HG50_9_Speed_Cassette/4000000909/#more
the main reason that I want to change is that I will be doing a long ride in the summer months with the bike loaded up with kit and the hill at the moment without the added weight are bad enough
(I have a tiagra rear mech and would preferably like to do it on as little budget as possible, so any other cheaper and easier sugestions would be great:biggrin:

I think you will need a new ultra-narrow Hyperglide chain for that cassette and definitely a long cage rear mech(if you have a short one -no pun intended!).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It'll work ok, as long as you don't run cross gears.
mechs come in 3 different lengths. short medium and long. the tiagra mech is medium. I've been using medium cage mechs for the last 20 years with 11/32 cassettes

Pete, why do you say he will need a differnet chain? IME any 9spd chain will work

OP
OP
oliver

oliver

accountantpete said:
I think you will need a new ultra-narrow Hyperglide chain for that cassette and definitely a long cage rear mech(if you have a short one -no pun intended!).

what dou you mean by "hyperglide chain"

Steve Austin said:
It'll work ok, as long as you don't run cross gears.
mechs come in 3 different lengths. short medium and long. the tiagra mech is medium. I've been using medium cage mechs for the last 20 years with 11/32 cassettes

Pete, why do you say he will need a differnet chain? IME any 9spd chain will work

am i right i thinking that "cross gears" is where you are big to big or small to small?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Yes Oliver. Its a bad thing to do. Cross Gears wears chains quickly and a medium cage mech hasn't quite got the oomph to cope with it.

Essentially everyone should run their chain as straight as possible without ever cross gearing, it does mean there are a few gears that you can't use. It turns a 27 gear bike into a bike with only 24ish usable gears, but thats how it is.

Sorry, don't mean to confuse the issue...

Any Shimano/KMC/Sram 9spd chain will work

PpPete

Legendary Member
I run 12-30 cassette with a road mech and a triple front. Inadvertent change to large sprockets when in big ring locks the entire drive train....with a potentially expensive sounding "crunch"
Not sure I'd want to run 11-32 with a road mech, but a basic Deore mech is only £20 or so.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I run an 11-32 with road mech. No problems but I did add a couple of links to existing chain so if I advertently run a crossed line there is no drama just a bit of chain rub to remind me.

OP
OP
oliver

oliver

ok thanks for the help, I will look into changing it posibly

Top Bottom