Would i benefit buying carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Ive recently started road riding, and im now up to around 150miles per week.

This usually included a club run, and im now starting to take part in the clubs evening 10 TT's.

I have a Focus Culebro 2008 aluminium frame, Focus carbon forks, SRAM Rival groupset, and Mavic Aksium wheelset (this is how i bought it from Wiggle in November last year)

The only thing ive changed are tyres (stock ones were rubbish), bar tape (gel padded), and seat (Fizik Arione).

The reason for all this spill is,
1 - Im really going to take road riding seriously and hopefully start racing.

2 - Im in 2 minds whether to sell this and buy a bike with a carbon frame.

Looking round at everyone i see they have carbon frames, and on the longer rides along the put holey roads of the SW i find they seem alot more comfortable to me. Mine rattles away, while theres seem to flex and give a more cushioning support to them.

I also sometimes wonder whether my frame is a little too big, im 5' 11' inside leg 31".

In your personal experienced opinions would it be worth me taking the plunge now, or not worth it?

If so are there any bikes to really look at, that would be worth upgrading as and when without breaking the bank. Boardman etc?

Thanks in advance

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Just a suggestion, but why not just get a carbon frame and transfer your components onto it ?

IIRC the Boardman Team Carbon has the same Rival groupset as your current bike (unless you're looking at the Pro which has SRAM Force) and the same wheelset as my Road Comp, which I guess are at the cheaper end of the scale.

Just a thought...

Daniel.

tuffty

Could be worth buying one of your clubmates a few beers and borrowing their carbon-framed bike for an hour or so to see how it feels to you?

FWIW I love my carbon frame (Trek Madone) and do find it much more comfortable over the less-than-perfect roads we have around here than my previous aluminium-framed bike. But, its a lot of money, and only a decent test ride will really let you know if its worth it for you.

just4fun

+1
amnesia said:
Just a suggestion, but why not just get a carbon frame and transfer your components onto it

I guess if you can afford it and you want one why not? its not like having a carbon frame will make anything worse for you.

Blue

Legendary Member
Comfort isn't due to the bike material alone. A carbon bike built to be stiff and fast may not be comfortable.

I have 3 bikes. An Alu with carbon forks, and all carbon and a alu with carbon stays and forks. The alu with carbon stays and forks is just as comfortable as the all carbon - at a fraction of the price.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't need one.....it's you that's the engine. Might be slightly better, might not be.

TBH if you want one get another bike - I wouldn't just have one bike.

If it rattles, fix the rattle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH Aksiums are fine...... not exactly very light , but tough..

PS get good tyres - i.e. Mitch Pro Race / Conti Gp4000 or Schwalbe Ultremo's - sorted - very quick and light...... makes a huge difference.....

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

I do have Continental GP 4000 tyres.

Regarding the carbon frame/upgrade of bike was aiming more towards the comfort side.

From what ive heard, am led to believe and have experienced on carbon frames is that its a much more comfortable ride.

montage

God Almighty
Ride your current bike until it falls to pieces.
What time you riding 10miles in?
How about you set yourself a 10 mile time target, and when you reach it, treat yourself with a carbon bike!

Big John

Guru
You mentioned the magic word "racing". I've got a carbon bike and wish I hadn't sometimes. Racing can sometimes mean "coming off" and contrary to all the stories you'll hear carbon hates hitting the deck almost as much as the rider. Put simply it's not as robust as a good metal frame. I've managed to crack two frames so far. Too fragile in my book even though the books/mags may say it's every bit as strong as metal.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Montage - I think that is what im going to do, i like to make myself targets and this is what i planned on doing. I just wanted to research and ask the question whether it would really be worth it.

Another reason why im asking is, hopefully my company will be signing up to the CTW scheme so i should be able to treat myself cheaper.

Big John - This is 1 thing i will remember to take in to account when it comes to purchasing a new bike. The very same reason i never had a BMX race frame because of all the offs.

Anyway im still dong lots of research so it wouldn't be for a while yet anyway.

Thanks all

Top Bottom